Friday, November 09, 2007

We Got To Meet Chonda Pierce!


If you're as up to date as I am, your probably saying, "Who?" right about now. LOL
She is a Christian comedienne who just happened to be in our town last night. (Incidentally at the same time as Ozzy Osbourne, but who cares about that?) Some people just happened to drop out of calling all the churches to make sure they knew she was coming, and Amanda's cousin just happened to be in charge of publicity. So Amanda and I got bribed into filling in the gap for free tickets and the opportunity to meet Chonda at intermission!

I know this all is not a big deal to ya'll, but she is the closest thing to a celebrity I'll probably ever meet. She is completely at ease in front of a crowd and most of her material is off the cuff.

It was hilarious and heartbreaking as she shared her life story during the second half. I came away with the desire to be more real, honest, and transparent, and not so worried about putting up a good front for people.

It's humbling.

I need to be more humble.

It is surprising sometimes, the people that God chooses to use; they're not the ones you and I would guess for sure. The "many that are first, shall be last and the last shall be first" verses come to mind.
Isaiah 55:8-9
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

And this is Doris. One of the most talented piano players I've ever seen (besides Dino) and she is so humble, too! She is married to Chonda's brother. I was more excited to get a picture with her, but we ran out of time. So this is the best I could do.


5 comments:

Amy Martin said...

Sounds like loads of fun. I wish I coulda been there.

Sherri said...

Hey,

I just remembered. They go to a non-denominational church in Murfreesboro, TN! I want to say World Vision Church, but that could be wrong.

Sherri said...

OH!

And guess how she got her name???

Her dad liked Chevy's and her mom liked Honda's, so they combined the two for Chonda. TRUE STORY!

Amanda said...

It was loads of fun! Thank you for being my "date". I don't think that I would have gone alone. I am glad that it was you instead of Riky. I don't think that he would have found much humor in men-o-pause. Plus he wouldn't have looked as pretty in the pic. More of a deer-in-the-headlights look, most likely!

Anonymous said...

You both look like you're having a blast!

BTW, I LOVE your new family pic!

~Rebecca

Photobucket