
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Josh has been spending quite a bit of time working on his new truck. He doesn't enjoy being a mechanic. His last job ended up being mostly mechanic related, but that's not the position he was hired for. He always came home greasy, with dirt caked to the grease. He can't stand that.
He set out to have a good attitude, no matter how long it took. He just wanted to get it done so he could move on to other important projects. I don't know about ya'll, but around here, everything takes much longer than we think it's going to. One thing right after another went wrong.
Being a Godly, submissive wife takes determination and constant prayer. I have to have it in the forefront of my mind constantly in order to succeed. When Josh begins these projects, I know it is my duty to be out there helping him as much as possible. I don't know why, but that is so hard for me to do. But, there's no time like the present to start practicing being a good help meet. Let's face it, if we felt like doing it when the need arose, it wouldn't be an issue. We'd just do it. We have to practice doing things we don't want to do in order for it to become the norm.
So I joyfully faced the task set before me, and talked to Josh while he worked. It went very well for a little while, then a funny thing happened.
We started to talk about a problem that had arisen with our mortgage payment that week. Josh was already somewhat irritated with things not working out on the truck, so bringing up this subject was not the best judgement on my part. Oops.
We were both beginning to want to argue about it when the Lord had to intervene. He knew I was about to blow all my hard work up to that point! LOL
Josh was tightening something on the battery with a long wrench when in the middle of my sentence sparks began flying everywhere! A strange hissing noise then ensued. After we all recovered from the shock, literally and figuratively, (chuckle) Josh realized that he had burned a hole in the air conditioner with the end of the wrench; the only thing on the truck that was in working order at the time!
At that point, he was done trying to make this a pleasant task. He was not a happy camper. I decided that it might be a good idea to make myself scarce for awhile so he could cool off. I came into the house and got a couple of things done, prayed, and then went back outside to see how things were going.
He was sitting in the driver's seat in the garage with the door open, revving the engine. I bit my tongue, and then very nicely asked him what he was doing. He replied that he was trying to get it to run out of gas so he could replace the fuel filter. I looked at him in total disbelief. The gas gauge said it was half full. (Notice I didn't say half empty. LOL) I opened my mouth to say the myriad of thoughts that were running rampant through my brain, thought better of it, closed my mouth, put a smile on my face with the greatest effort, and turned on my heel to just.walk.away.
I came into the house and started praying, and saying to the Lord all the things that I so badly wanted to say to Josh. "He's trying to get get the truck to run out of gas by flooring it in the garage? Is he trying to kill us all? Has he not SEEN the price of gas lately!?!?!? Is he insane?" I just gave it all to God, and prayed for the grace to get through the rest of the day joyfully.
A little while later, much refreshed from my prayer time, and feeling calmer, I went out once again to see how things were going. As soon as I came into the garage, Josh looked up from under the hood, grinned, and said, "Are you coming out to try again, Honey?" Then we both started laughing. He knew how hard it was for me not to say what I was thinking, and he appreciated the effort I put forth.
I'm still amazed at how well the rest of the day went! From various and sundry past experiences, I know all too well how it could have turned out. I give the Lord the glory for working in me what both Josh and I both never thought would be. As Debbie Pearl says, "You do have a choice in how your life plays out". What about you? Do you see joy-filled, thankful days ahead of you despite your circumstances, or more strife, bitterness, disgust, and resentment? Take the road less travelled; it makes all the difference!

3 comments:
Sherri, you are doing a fabulous job of traveling that road with grace and beauty also. You are(most of the time :) a excellent example of having a meek and quiet spirit. But you still maintain your spunk! What a winning combination.
Amanda, you have no idea how often I pray and say, "Lord, I can't do this. It's just too hard. It's not worth it. Is it?" And then He shows just how far He's brought me, and I can shout a resounding "YES!! It IS worth it!" In spite of everything we've been through, I wouldn't change one thing about my marriage because it's sweetness now is more precious to me because of where we've been. It's more wonderful than I ever dared hope it could be because of what the Lord has brought us through. It's a work in progress, of course, but I so look forward to what the Lord has in store for us. I can't imagine it getting better, but I know it does.
Good post! I enjoyed reading it...and good for you for learning to zip the lip! :D It's a good lesson for all of us! :D
~Rebecca
Post a Comment