At college I had a framed poem about waiting for God's best, and His timing concerning marriage on the headboard of my bed. For about six months I had been completely content with being single. I wasn't even interested in dating. I actually turned two guys down when they asked me my third semester. I couldn't imagine doing such a thing when I first arrived at college. LOL However, Stephanie and Rebecca will probably remember that it didn't take much effort to say no to these particular young men. Stephanie and I had an uncanny ability to attract the most unattractive guys, let me tell you! Aw, the stories that Stepanie could tell! The worst of it was the way that they asked. As if the idea of being turned down never even occurred to them. ROFLOL Praise the Lord we both ended up with absolutely great men for husbands! There were times when there was little hope of that ever happening.
The college had a special Christians Concerned For The Constitution meeting planned (October 8, 1997) that cost $20 to attend. I had NO money for it so very reluctantly resigned myself to the fact that I would not be going. Until Sunday after the evening service when I checked my mail from Saturday. Someone had sent me a $20 bill! I ran with money in hand to the man in charge and he very graciously made an exception and allowed me to go. We had to leave by 6 a.m. the following morning so I had to be up getting ready no later than 5. As I was making my bed, in the dark, I knocked the poem in it's delicate glass frame off the headboard with my pillow. My roommate, Wendy, woke up and asked what had happened. When I told her she laughingly said, "Well, I guess that means that you'll be meeting the man you're going to marry today." She also very sweetly told me that she would clean up the mess when the lights were allowed to be on so that I wouldn't be late. Imagine her (and my) disbelief when upon my return I told her that I had indeed met the perfect guy!
After the meeting the bus driver had to maneuver his way out of a very tight parking place. The guys on the bus where being his eyes on all sides while the girls were just wincing, and praying that no damage was done to the bus or other vehicles. At one point I looked up, and this very nice looking young man, with the most incredible blue eyes I've ever seen, was laughing at me. I seriously looked behind me to see who he was laughing at, and what was so funny. I knew who he was, but had only talked to him once in a year and a half, and it was one of the most embarrassing conversations I've ever had in my life.....
Rebecca and I were eating lunch when Josh and one of his friends came and sat across from us. (There were no other chairs available, otherwise they wouldn't have, I'm sure. At Fairhaven most of the boys wouldn't even say "hi" to a girl walking down the path. At least very few ever responded to me when I said "hi". They probably thought I'd read too much into it if they did. I know there were girls there like that, and how are they supposed to know the difference? LOL The following conversation probably only fed that idea.) Towards the end of the meal, I asked what their majors were. They were both theology majors, and were hoping to become preachers. Before completely thinking it through, I VERY JOKINGLY said, "Oh, wow, it looks like I came to the right place. I've always wanted to be a preacher's wife." OH. MY. WORD. As soon as the words were out of my mouth I wanted nothing more than for the floor to open and swallow me up. What an incredibly stupid thing to say. They looked at each other, and the remainder of the meal was eaten hastily, in silence. I willed them to forget I even existed at that point...and apparently succeeded. Temporarily anyway. It took a good twelve months and his sister's arrival at college for Josh to realize that I wasn't really a forward, loud mouthed, obnoxious, desperate female. I'm so thankful Aspen was there to help change his mind. :)
On the way back to the college, I got into somewhat of a debate with a young man, named Luke, about the income tax stemming from some discussion at the meeting. It turned into a friendly argument that pitted me against ten or so others. Josh was sitting more at the front of the bus studying with another girl, so he only heard bits and pieces here and there. He had taken a year of law and was very politically minded so someone asked him what he thought about it. To my utter amazement, he said I was completely right in everything I was saying. That took my interest and respect for him to a whole new level. :)
As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I had great difficulty in taking essay tests, and it was during the remainder of the bus ride that he offered to let me use his tests to prepare for mine.
The next Sunday morning he ended up sitting next to me in S.S. We had a few dates here and there, and sat together at every meal and church service. His parents invited me to their house for Thanksgiving. December 1st he planned a dorm date, and gave me a promise ring. I didn't see that coming. December 22 he came to my house for Christmas, asked my dad if he could marry me, and proposed Christmas Eve at a restaurant at the very top of the highest building in Billings. It was the best Christmas present I've ever received, and I have to say I was completely shocked. I had NO idea he would propose so soon. We were married the following July.

1 comment:
I couldn't HELP but start laughing as I began reading this post. It's really funny to me now, even though it wasn't at all before I got married to think of the type I seemed to attract. Did I ever tell you about the bipolar guy? That was almost more than I could take (horrifying). The other funny thing is that Mark had the same things happen to him--right up through our engagement, which was only two months! (That's when I began pondering the merits of engagement rings for guys, so people wouldn't be so ready to keep introducing them to "this girl they know," their daughter, sister, etc.) I guess that makes us appreciate each other even more. We were both really starting to wonder before we met. And, Sherri, I'm SO thankful that the Lord had you there for me through some of those times! (Oh, my, I keep thinking of more things and laughing!!!) Hey, I didn't know or remember about that "pastor's wife" comment you made when you first "talked" to Josh. That's hilarious, knowing you at that time and the way college students "read" things (although that wouldn't take much reading!). Anyway, as you said, each of us was so blessed to end up with such a wonderful husband!
Post a Comment