Monday, June 25, 2007

What Next?

I should sooo not be sitting here right now. Josh's parents are coming this Friday, and I can hardly believe how much work I have to do. This is just one more example of how different Josh and I are. When there is a lot of work to do, he rises to the challenge and gets it done. It inspires him or something. I, on the other hand, look at it, see that there's no way I can possibly do it all myself, and do nothing. I have zero motivation. Every time I do get something done, I turn around and realize I have to do it again because someone UNDID it. Within minutes. Seriously. And only the two youngest of my children are home right now.

ANYWAYS, last week we got our new dishwasher. The guy who was supposed to install it brought it in, looked at the space for it, and said that he'd have to charge extra that Sears wouldn't pay to get it done right. It's a Bosch and there is no clearance on the bottom or sides to work in. He said it would be $60 extra. We were not willing to pay that so he left and Josh was going to put it in himself. Not wanting to go through that (ahem) I called Sears and talked them into paying it. So two days later, it was finally done.

Not 24 hours after that, our hot water heater stopped working. I had wondered why my new dishwasher wasn't getting the dishes clean...... Josh went out and bought a new one that was 30 gallons less capacity because that's all we could afford. It would have been nice to get a tankless one. We had to drill a hole in the old one to drain the water, bucket by bucket. All 80 gallons, one at a time. When he tried to move it, it wouldn't budge. Come to find out, it's insulated with S.T.O.N.E. He and my dad had to use a come-along to get it up our steep driveway to the road where, hopefully, the garbage man will have compassion on us and take it away.

Josh had the new one installed in no time. Fast-forward to Sunday afternoon.

I had tons of cleaning to do and went to turn the hot water on so I could mop, and bubbling, steaming water comes pouring out the faucet. YIKES! We had to flip the breaker to get it to turn off. So once again we've had the privilege of dealing with people from Timbucktoo who can't speak English and have no clue what they're talking about to try to get this resolved. Parts are being over-nighted to us and should be here in the morning. I sincerely hope that fixes the problem.

In order to get the piles of laundry and other hot water required chores done, I've had to flip the breaker on and off all day to keep the temperature regulated. It's so funny to me how much I take for granted. I didn't realize how much hot water a family this size requires. I hope our well doesn't run dry next! LOL

Josh's new truck isn't running well either. He's spent so much time on that thing since we bought it. He thinks he has the problem figured out, and it really is ingenious how he did it. But I couldn't explain it to you if my life depended on it. :D It had something to do with how many times the service engine light flashed?????

So that's an update on our lives for the past week. Hopefully next time I post, it will be more upbeat. The devil is alive and well, and is working overtime. We can't let him win.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Well, Sherri, at least you have an opportunity to be the upbeat, positive, wife that we were just reading and talking about. I must need a real life example of how to behave, so God has sent us these trials at the same time! Thank you for sharing this with me ;) I am so thankful for you. Hey, new subject, did you hear that Extreme Makeover, Home Edition is in town. I am going to run by the site today. I'll give you directions, if you want.

Sherri said...

Thanks for the comment, Amanda. It's funny...I never seem to be short on opportunities to practice being thankful and joyful in spite of my circumstances. If we really have 40,000 thoughts a day that determine our mood which in turn determine our actions, I would say that about 39,900 of them have to willfully be replaced with thankful, happy thoughts. I love Debi Pearls' saying "Practice makes awful, perfectly awful." One of my greatest "fears" is turning into an odious woman. It would be so easy to do! That's enough motivation to keep me sweet when I want to throw a fit! It's the law of sowing and reaping. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Thanks for keeping me accountable.

Amanda said...

I don't know that I would say "accountable", more like on your toes! I truely love our friendship and am so greatful to know someone like you. I am at about 21,000 (52/48ish) of my thoughts that are truely captive, but I am working on it. At the beginning of my wifely journey, I would say it was more like your numbers, only in reverse! I am working hard to see that number climb to something like yours. You are truely a real life inspiration in so many realistic ways. There are some people who refuse to show their progress and just fake the end result. I truely cherish your candid reality.

Photobucket