Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Date Night

Josh has been experiencing rather severe headaches recently and after consulting with a headache specialist and naturopath, one of the most surprising recommendations was scheduling one date night a week. Who knew?? When we only had one or two kids we did this often, but the last several years it has gradually been forgotten.

This past Friday, we made plans for my wonderful parents to watch the kids,as they often do, and they offered to let them stay overnight. That was such a relief as they live about 40 minutes away, and by the time I go to pick them up after a date it seems like I just dropped them off, and it's not worth it. It's more relaxing to just stay home like normal.

Josh got home at 4:00, and when he walked through the door, he asked if I had any special plans. Besides going to dinner, there really wasn't much else around here that we cared to do. For quite awhile, we simply sat in our living room, and listened to the silence. It really was a great way to start our date. After that, we decided to fix my vacuum cleaner. That doesn't sound like much fun, but it really was! Between the two of us, it was fixed in no time. It's better than new, and it saved us at least $300.

After working up an appetite, we decided to go to dinner at a steakhouse nearby. It wasn't very good, but we enjoyed just sitting and talking without interruption. Overall, I think it was one of the best dates we've ever had, and it's amazing how much brighter my days are with a date to look forward to at the end of the week. I highly recommend it, even if you don't have kids!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Sorry about the last few lines being so small. I can't figure out what is going wrong. It doesn't look that way in the draft. I hope you can still read it.

Rebecca said...

That sounds great! I'm laughing at fixing a vaccuum being part of a date! :D Different from the early days of dating, huh? But, still, wonderful!!!!

Sherri said...

Definitely different from the early days! I've never been really big on running around all the time, so I'm glad that Josh and I are on the same page now as far as what's relaxing and what's not. We're also trying to be more creative in order to save money on dates. That's fun too! Thanks for all your comments, Rebecca! It's so fun to see them.

Photobucket