Friday, September 08, 2006

"What am I, chopped liver?"

When I was eighteen, I was in college, and had read many books about being a good wife and mother, and figured I should be able to handle it with no problem. After all, forewarned is forearmed. Unfortunately, I didn't have the experiences to draw from that make all the facts I had learned applicable. Knowing how to be a submissive wife and actually being one are two entirely different things. It takes practice. Daily. With lots of failures in between the successes, and making a conscious effort to learn from the failures. I think the main reason it is so difficult is because it entails dying to self constantly, and after awhile, let's face it, you get tired of it. Add children to the picture, and a servant's heart is absolutely vital. Your wants and needs are always put on the backburner.

At first, I admit, I really resented this. Especially where my husband was concerned. Why did everything have to always be about him? As we used to jokingly say in our house when I was younger, "What am I, chopped liver?" Didn't my opinion count for anything? I had to learn the hard way that, "No, my opinion doesn't count for everything, and yes, it is supposed to be all about my husband." Philippians 2:3 "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."

Debi Pearl wrote a wonderful book "Created to Be His Help Meet", and in it she explains what true obedience in marriage is. Obedience is doing what you know your husband would want you to do, and not doing what you know your husband would not want you to do. I think that pretty well sums it all up. In order to obey God, you have to obey your husband. How simple. But definitely not easy.

Sometimes I feel like I'm expected to be SuperMom and SuperWife, but that's just plain self pity. There is no excuse for me not to get everything done that Josh wants me to have done. One of the many verses that the Lord brings to mind when I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything is, Philippians 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus". God is just waiting for me to ask for His help. He doesn't want me to be overwhelmed and frustrated all the time. It's so unnecessary with the God of the impossible at my disposal. Thank you, Lord.

"He giveth more grace
as the burdens grow greater.
He sendeth more strength
when the labors increase.
To added affliction
He addeth His mercy;
To multiplied trials
His multiplied peace.
His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power has no boundary
known unto man.
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again."

No comments:

Photobucket