Our lawn is beautiful this time of year and I'm thankful that Josh works so hard to keep it that way. We have a gorgeous crab apple tree in full bloom and while most of the other ones in our area are a pale pink, ours is a deep full pinkish/purple. I even braved the snakes that are extremely large and abundant to get a picture for ya'll so no one will have to ask for one later. :)
We've also already had to start weeding the rock gardens. The work that the previous owners did on this house in general is very well done, but they really dropped the ball when they put in those rock gardens. After the first and second weedings I end up just calling them weed gardens because I simply can't keep up. Jordan and Alia were out there helping me today and about halfway through Jordan said, "This is just plain PAINFUL." Oh, how I laughed! I couldn't have agreed more wholeheartedly. I H.A.T.E. yard work and each and every year it gets worse.
Josh worked in the garden most of the weekend, and with each passing hour I just.....I won't even talk about it. Let's just say that Sunday night I had a royal meltdown. Josh said that this time last year I got really quiet on him too, and his theory is that once he actually starts planting the garden outside, I subconsciously realize that the garden is going to be a reality. At this point in my life, I am literally just surviving. Not enjoying much of anything. Just putting one foot in front of the other and existing. I can hardly even bear looking outside and seeing all the work that needs to be done in addition to what I've been so overwhelmed with all winter. At this point, I have no desire whatsoever to ever again taste the foods that are planted out there. I'd rather never eat a morsel of it again as long as I live than have to do all that extra work. I promise I'm not exaggerating one bit. I feel like I could throw up just thinking about it. It literally makes me sick. I know there are those of you out there who simply love gardening and claim that it's therapeutic, etc... I am NOT one of those people. It so goes against me as a person, that I can't even make myself enjoy it. I go out to help Josh and against my will, cry the whole time. I honestly have put forth herculean effort in trying to do it, but, like I said, it just isn't in me. You can ask Josh if you don't believe me. He wouldn't have believed it either if he didn't witness it with his own eyes. He used to get irritated by it, but now he just gives me a hug, and smiles sympathetically. I've always been one to downplay issues that people have because I didn't HAVE any. LOL Well, now I do, and I'm so thankful that it's something as minor as this.
I've been praying about this very thing for years. Since we moved into this house, I've been praying that the Lord would help me to have a good attitude and be a good help meet for Josh in the things that he enjoys. It's a miracle that God will have to work in me, I definitely can't do it on my own, and so far he has chosen, for whatever reason, not to answer my prayer.
On a happier note, the sun is shining, I have lots of beautiful windows to let the light in, the birds are singing, and the BEST part of it all is that I can enjoy the sunlight and the fresh air , and music without having step outside of my house. The Lord is so good to me!

5 comments:
This year, I'm not really able to do anything that I like to outside, other than mowing the lawn, but I do miss it! Gardening, on the other hand, is for the birds! I can do just about any outdoor thing, but I don't think I would like the gardening part either. That's why we don't have one!!! Johnny doesn't have time, and I WON'T do it! LOL Hope things get better for you. Just let Josh do it, if he likes it so much and don't worry about it. I don't think, with as many people as you share with from church, that any of it will go to waste. Gorgeous tree by the way. All of our pretty stuff FROZE!! All of my rose bushes!!! I am not a happy camper! LOL
Sherri,
Hang in there just think about it this way at least what you bring in out of your garden you know what it has had on it in it and you know who picked it that means alot now a days.... It is very frustrating when you have all of the other every day things and then add that I know.. But you could throw a chicken coupe in to clean and see now dont you feel better ok maybe not... But on the positive side hang in there.. But speaking of chix i need to go do chores have a great day and try not to stress about the garden...
Have you ever thought about doing something like the square foot gardening I mentioned on my blog. It doesn't have to be only for small gardens. The reason I like it so much is because you can either lay down a weed barrier or put plywood on the bottom to keep out those pesky weeds. You grow everything in raised beds with covers over the top so they have perfect greenhouse conditions, plus the critters can't get in. Tim is going to be building ours soon and I'm so excited. We're a little late in doing it, but that's okay. We've ordered two books, a homeschooling book and 3 DVD's from their website. I'll let you know what they're like. Really....I think you should try it, too. Apparently, people who do SFG never go back to "real" gardening again!
~Rebecca~
Niki,
Thanks for the encouragement. I often try to put things into perspective by saying "At least I don't have to......." and trying to think of something that I would rather not be doing, but besides hiking and then camping up in the mountains for three days, it's hard for me to come up with things. :) I have told myself that at least he's just growing vegetables and not animals (yet), but it's been little consolation. I do admire those of you who do it though, especially if you can enjoy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rebecca,
I did click on the link on your post about the SFG. It looked very interesting. We had some neighbors when we first got married and lived in town that did that. Their entire yard was these boxes filled with plants. To me though gardening is gardening. It all looks like more work than I have energy to give. Thanks for the tip though. I'm going to have Josh look at the website. It's right up his alley. :)
I'll let you know how ours goes. I think I could enjoy gardening a lot more if I didn't have to pick weeds! ;)
~Rebecca~
Post a Comment