Thursday, May 10, 2007

Snakes


You didn't believe me did you? This is a picture taken last year of the snake that I almost stepped on this morning. It has grown, A LOT, in the past year. Oh. My. Word. Whenever I go outside I'm constantly watching for them, even without thinking about it. I was out watering the garden this morning scanning the ground to make sure none were in sight. I came back up to the house, relieved that I hadn't seen one today. I walked past my mint plants, and decided I needed to get them watered, too. As I came back to water them, I saw him. He was all curled up around the pots on my sidewalk. I was inches from him before he smelled me, and I saw him. We both about had heart attacks I'm sure. I screamed, turned, and ran, and he took off rather quickly to hide in the bushes around our house. At least he isn't threatening. He doesn't seem to want to encounter us anymore than we want to encounter him. He just mosies on his way as quickly as possible. The boys and Nathan have been running by those plants all morning! Josh just says that at least we don't have mice. I'd take the mice any day, even in my house. I can't stop shuddering. I'm pretty sure this is a garter snake. Do any of you out there know much about snakes? Please tell me if I'm wrong.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture makes me shudder too!! Someone told me that the shape of a snake's head can tell you if it is venomous (pointed-venomous; round-not venomous). Anyway, of the ten species of snakes in Montana, only the rattlesnake is venomous (according to montana.edu). I guess it may be something to get used to. (ha) My aunt in Florida likes the little garter snakes around her house. Maybe next time I see a snake around our house, I won't be so quick to have Mark kill it. Josh is right about the rodents.

Amy Martin said...

Ok, now that is just GROSS!! I get the shivers everytime I see it. YUCK YUCK YUCK!! Give me a MOUSE anyday over a SNAKE!! EEWWWWWWW!! And that's all I have to say about that! LOL

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to make a clarification (besides the typo in my last name!). Maybe I would let a smaller garter snake retain its life around my house (not inside), but I would definitely want a snake the size of THAT one dead! Now that one deserves a scream and a run!

Sherri said...

LOL Your comments make me laugh. :) IMO, the only good snake is a dead snake. Fortunately for the snake, it's not my decision. I really do need to get another post up though, or take this one down. I'm getting really tired of seeing that thing whenever I look at my blog.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I am getting such a kick out of this post; maybe it would be one of seven (or more) weird things about me. :) Or maybe it's because this post is "so you," (ha ha) and I'm getting some sort of evil humor out of it.

Anyway, I finally had to show this picture to Mark. (Wow--when he enlarged the picture, it looked even scarier!) Well, we think we found what kind of snake it is. Go to http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_ARADB26020.aspx
and have fun. At least it is not venemous! And, by the way, (for comparison's sake) here is a link to the common garter snake: http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_ARADB36130.aspx
Here's to lots of LOL's...

Sherri said...

Wow, thanks for taking the time to research that for me. My dad said that it probably was a bull snake. My mom had one under her dumpster outside once that opened its mouth really wide and hissed at her, and my dad said that was really unusual. He'd never seen such an aggressive one before. I'm glad this one is mild mannered. His life depends on it. We see him so often he's like a pet, but one I could gladly do without. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the kids named him sometime soon. I'm glad your getting a kick out it. Someone might as well. :)

Jessica said...

Ohhhhhhh, that is just gross!
I think it is alot bigger than a garter! I could not......I would like move!!!!
Man, sherri how do you.... no wait I don't even want to know......ewwwwwww
Anyway, I didn't get your comment on my blog so If you just want to e-mail me what ever you said or recomment.
Jessica

Photobucket