Saturday, May 19, 2007

Homemade Butter

a href="http://kidskuisine.com">Since we have been able to get fresh, raw, organic milk a few friends and I have been experimenting with making butter. Today, after just about giving up altogether, I finally succeeded. I kept going just to prove to myself that it really was possible to make it. The keys to success I've found are to make sure that the cream is allowed to sour for about 24 hours at room temperature, and to keep the cream cold while churning, or shaking as the case may be. Alia was so excited when I opened her container and she saw her glob of butter! Finally, I've found something that I really enjoy making that takes some work. LOL And the buttermilk is absolutely delicious. I've never had any fresh like this, and even Alia thinks it's a special treat. I was so excited that it worked I just had to share! Have a great day everyone!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations!!!I told you that you could do it. I am glad that you continued to try! Did Carrie's turn out, too? I sure hope so. I take it that your blender was not completely totaled, or did you shake it...ugh. Congratulations again! I am so thankful that you found something that you enjoy...but where do you go from here? Cheese? Or just oodles and oodles of butter?

Sherri said...

Thanks for the comment, Amanda! Alia and I shook about 1/2 cup of cream each. Hers turned to butter before mine for some odd reason. I was able to stir in just a pinch of salt to it after I rinsed all the buttermilk out, and it is wonderful! I don't think my blender is completely dead yet, but I haven't tried it to see. :) I've thought about making cheese. At least trying it. We'll have to see. Both cheese and butter are super expensive so I'd really like to be able to make my own, but I'm not feeling that ambitious yet. You'll probably be the first to know if I try it. See you tomorrow!

Amy Martin said...

Sounds like loads of fun! LOL Johnny said he and his brothers would roll the jar back and forth on the floor until there was butter. Don't know how long it took, but it apparently kept them entertained for a little while.

Enjoy your thriftiness. I'm too lazy! or busy organizing my closets, attic, and cupboards! LOL

Photobucket