Monday, May 14, 2007

Praise The Lord Anyhow



So Saturday morning as Josh was getting out of bed I asked him what his plans were for the day so that I could appropriately plan my day. He listed a whole week's worth of work he wanted to get done, and then asked what my plans were. I told him I was basically just waiting for him to tell me what he wanted me to do. He said that if I didn't have any other plans that they were having a work day at the church for VBS at 10:00 that morning, if I wanted to go, to like, ya know, get away. It was already 8:00 a.m. Alrighty then. I go from totally relaxed to overdrive instantly. My days keep me more than busy without anything extra, and most of the things I do have to be done everyday. I raced through my morning routine, made breakfast for the kids and Josh, took a shower, got ready to go, nursed Isaac, and just as I'm getting ready to walk out the door, only about 10 minutes late already, Isaac has a royal diaper blow-out. I came upstairs to change him, and saw that Nathan had turned the water on in the kitchen sink, which had somehow gotten plugged, and water was overflowing onto the floor. As I walked into the kitchen to clean that mess up, I realized that he had also pushed the ice button on the fridge letting ice scatter in every possible direction. The kids had had toast with jelly for breakfast and the littlest ones had gotten down before they were cleaned up, and proceeded to make sticky hand prints all over the chairs, table and floor. So all the water was put to good use. But I was NOT a happy mommy. About that same time, Josh came in to tell me that he had dropped a spark plug and it had broken and he couldn't do anything else until he got another one. In a way I was relieved. This was my chance to get to eat something. Nothing like trying to eat after cleaning up a poopy mess, but it had to be done.

I managed to get to the church at about 10:30, and once I got started, was very absorbed in what I was doing, and didn't really pay attention to the time. Mind you, I was none too eager to come home after all the chaos that morning. Before I knew it, it was 2:30. The phone rang at the church and they told me it was for me. I looked at the clock, and said "Oh. No." I was sure it was Josh calling to ask me where in the world I was. I needed to go to the store afterward still, too. It was my mom calling to ask me to meet her somewhere in town to pick up Jordan since he had spent a few days with them. I called Josh to tell him what was going on, and he told me that he hadn't been able to get anything done since 1:00 because he needed more parts. I told him I'd be home as quickly as possible. He told me to stop and get him a coffee, and he'd forgive me for taking so long. :) I was happy to oblige.

After I had met my mom, I took the airport road to get home, and got a huge rock chip in my windshield. It was spreading fast so I decided to stop and try to get it fixed right away. There was a sign on the door saying they'd be right back. McDonald's was across the street and I was starving so I went to get a little something to eat and Josh's coffee, in hopes that they would be back by then. They never showed up and it took me at least twenty minutes to get through the drive- thru.

As I pulled into the driveway (finally!) Josh came up to the van, and jokingly said, "when I told you I wanted you to go work at the church, I didn't mean for you to make it your life's work." I laughed. Then he proceeded to tell me about his morning, and I got to laugh even more!

A little while after I left, Isaac had again had a diaper blow-out. Alia said it was the worst mess she'd ever seen! HA HA HA! Josh said that he didn't know what else to do with him besides strip him and hose him off in the shower. That works. :D He got him dressed again, and took them all outside, and locked them in the privacy fenced back yard with him. After much pawing through blankets in our closet he found a nice big flannel sheet to put on the grass for the boys to play on. He needed to run to the garage to get a part really fast, so he made sure they were locked into the back yard, and ran as fast as he could. When he came back, he found that Nathan had turned on the water spigot under the deck. He had been digging up the underground sprinkling system so there was a pile of dirt nearby. Isaac apparently thought it looked like fun, so he crawled under there, and Josh found him happily playing in the mud, covered from head to toe, when he returned. He sighed, figured at least he was being good and went on with his work. I'll probably have to throw the yellow jammies he was wearing away. They're now solid black. Shortly after that he had to come in and make lunch. He got Isaac cleaned up again first, and when they were done eating Alia attempted to wash Isaac's face. He threw a major fit about it. Until he grabbed the washcloth away from her and threw it on the floor. Josh said he's never seen a baby switch moods so fast. He stopped crying, looked at the washcloth on the floor and just started laughing. After that, it was finally nap time.

The rest of the day went fairly well (with only three or four more such incidences, occurring that I won't continue to bore you all with) but as usual, by the time our bedtime rolled around, Josh and I were totally exhausted. Who knew that having five kids could be so much endless excitement?

My kids are all still recovering, so I stayed home with them from church yesterday morning. Last night though I had to sing, and work in the nursery, and my wonderful mother offered to stay with the four youngest so Josh and I could both go. We had to arrive early since Jessica and I hadn't been able to practice at the church on the platform yet, and then I headed down to the nursery. My friend, Amanda, was going to fill in for me while I sang, and we usually switch out during the hand shaking part of the service. There was a very fussy baby in there, and the other nursery worker was trying to calm him down. It wasn't working, so I offered to take him for awhile. As soon as I picked him up, facing me, he proceeded to projectile vomit all over me. He did this twice before I could turn him around, and even then it just kept on coming. I had two minutes before I had to head upstairs to sing! Talk about panic. I ran to the bathroom with him, alone, since we had other kids that the other worker had to stay with. I cleaned us both off the best that I could, and before I was done, Amanda came in the bathroom to help. I managed to get all the colored vomit off, so I just looked really wet, but I smelled terrible. I got upstairs as quickly as I could, and sat down. Josh scooted over by me, and got one whiff, and said, "Oh my word, what happened??" I told him, and then he moved as far away as he could get without being too obvious. :) I'm sure that some people thought we had had a fight or something. LOL Pastor usually reads his text before the special, but this time he called us both up there right away, so I didn't have time to warn Jessica about the smell. Other than the stench though, I don't think it was too noticeable.

The rest of the evening went fairly well, but I've come to the conclusion that I am a magnet for sick children. No matter what, I can never seem to get away from them. What else would I get for Mother's Day besides thrown up on......by someone else's kid....right before I have to get up in front of the entire church?

6 comments:

Amy Martin said...

Too FUN!! To be a fly on the wall at your house!! And I'm sure by the time Mother's Day rolled around you were thanking God for ALL FIVE of those little bundles of JOY!! RIGHT?! Luv ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sherri,
Good grief, your thinking what else but you dont dare say it outloud now do you!!! Your such a trooper So are your kids about to wind down for school? I will be so glad when we get out. have a good day talk to you later
Niki

Anonymous said...

I'd still like to see you with the 16 going on 17 kids like the mom in Arkansas! What more fun stories we might read about! :)

Sherri said...

I edited the last paragraph after you all commented above. Sorry about that.

And Stephanie, five is MORE than enough, thank you very much. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a day! Never a dull moment, for sure! :)

~Rebecca

Jessica said...

Owen vomitted on you!
I didn't know that.
I could smell something, but honest to goodness I thought it was someones feet!
Maybe even mine!
Sorry about that, atleast it didn't go down your clothes!
They puke really bad and alot sometimes, makes babysitting a blast!

Photobucket