Blogger has been unusually quick with uploading photos today, so prepare to be bored. :) Unfortunately, I didn't load them in consecutive order so bear with me.
We had the best time at Aspen and Bill's new home in Nebraska last week! We ended up having to go later than originally planned, but we stayed longer than planned, too, so it it was all good. ;)
On Friday we got to go to the Omaha Zoo. We'd been there before with just mom, dad, and David, but I think it was more fun this time with Aspen's family there.
Stacia was more than ready to eat.
So was Ronnie. :)
I am always amazed at the amount of work that goes into feeding us all. I try to prepare myself for it, but somehow, I can't. :)
We had to make three pies, one for each family, but we ended up with something like six because things just were not working. :) It worked out, though, that the ones not ready in time ended up being the best, in my opinion, so we got to enjoy them for Thanksgiving dinner. :) I know, I'm so selfish.
The chicken we had planned for dinner refused to thaw. She practically had to pry off each individual piece and fry them one by one because it took so long to separate each piece. We couldn't decide what kind of potatoes to make, and by the time I remembered a wonderful recipe for sliced baked potatoes, the race was on to get them all peeled and sliced, the special sauce made, with a trip to the store thrown in for good measure, so we could throw them in the oven for the 45 minutes it took for them to cook.
Everything wasn't done until six.
Church was at seven.
We had nine children under the age of nine to feed and get ready.
We ended up being really late for church because 1) we had to drop off the few pies that were edible at the school which apparently is some ways from the church, 2) it was dark and we couldn't find the church, and 3) did I mention that we had nine children under the age of nine to feed and get ready?
It was so embarrassing for all of us, minus Aspen, Bill and two of their kids, to troop in, and sit near the front of the church ten minutes after the service started. It didn't help that the ushers panicked just a little, trying to find us seats when they realized we were all together. Everybody was staring. :) Aspen couldn't see since she was at the piano and everyone was standing, but Bill was on the platform and he looked, oh-so-not-proud for everyone to know that we were part of his family. LOL It's a good thing he has such a great sense of humor about everything. :) It was awful. :/ Oh, and I forgot to mention that Josh left his dress clothes at home; overall, a terrible first impression to make, but at least we can laugh about it.
The kids had a blast all week. The guys were really good about taking them out to do fun things. I think the pictures speak mostly for themselves.
And that's my Naterbug. I have to tell you all this story.
Sunday after church when we got in the van, Nathan piped up and asked, "Daddy, are we going to heaven now?"
"Umm, no, not today, Buddy."
"Yes, Daddy! We are all going to heaven!"
"We are?"
"Yes. We all get to go to heaven together. But it won't be scary. It will be fun because Jesus will protect us."
Josh and I looked quizzically at each other. This was getting a little weird.
So Josh asked him, "When?"
"When we are in the van."
"Where?"
"Up by the mountains, Daddy."
This conversation took place in one form or another every time we got in the van on Sunday and Monday.
Before we left Monday morning, Aspen said he found her and said, "We're leaving to go to heaven, right now!" He was so excited.
Throughout the trip, he would ask, "Are we close to heaven yet?"
When mountains started to come into view he got really excited. "There are the mountains, Daddy! Do we get to go to heaven now?"
Talk about a good dose of perspective. It was sort of cute at first, but it became just a little scary after awhile. It got us thinking for sure, and made the trip home a very special time, especially for Josh and I.
We're ready to go! This thanksgiving, we are thankful to have a forever family. Everyone old enough to make the decision, grandparents on down, knows for sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that we will spend eternity together in heaven. What an indescribable peace that is to experience. I wouldn't trade it for anything this side of heaven.
When we finally arrived safely at home, Nathan said, "I'm glad we're home. Can we go to heaven now?"

4 comments:
Looks like lots of fun. Although, I'm glad it was you and not me. That's alot of kids! LOL I will get my turn this weekend. We're going over to Marty's for the Martin family Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner and I'm not too excited about all the kids. Oh well, it will be alright.
Glad you had fun.
Wow--your Thanksgiving was definitely the opposite of ours, as far as the number of kids! But, you still had plenty of good food and fellowship it looks like. :)
It looks like you had a very busy, but fun time. I like to see all the pictures. The kids are growing up so quickly. I wish that I lived closer so that I could see them more often. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Jennifer
It looks like you had a very busy, but fun time. I like to see all the pictures. The kids are growing up so quickly. I wish that I lived closer so that I could see them more often. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Jennifer
Post a Comment