Saturday, December 20, 2008

In His Presence

In the rare peace and quiet of a childless house, opportunities for reflection abound. I needed some time.

Alone.

Just to sit and think. It's been a long time.

It is so easy to get too busy. There is always something to do, someplace to go, someone to tend to. Before I know it, I feel like my life is one gigantic whirlwind of activity. As if I'm on a treadmill; always moving, but never really getting anywhere.

It came to me that God is always where He's always been. Right here, waiting. Waiting for me to take the time to really see Him. He hasn't moved. He hasn't changed. He is still as real as He ever was in my life. It's me. I'm the one who isn't exactly where I need to be.

In His presence.

In the stillness, I realized that He longs for me to see the little miracles He orchestrates to show me that He loves me, that He cares about every little thing, even when life is going well. He's still willing and waiting to perform miracles. I'm just too busy to notice. It's become easy to take too much for granted. Praying without ceasing has become second nature, but it's as if I've begun to say the words without really acknowledging His presence. Would you continue to do extra little things indefinitely for someone who acted as if you didn't exist? God does, sometimes, but we can't expect Him to do great things for us under those circumstances.

Why is it that it takes sadness, and uncertainty, even tragedy for us to look to Him? Why not seek His face in the good times so that He doesn't have to lead us through so many valleys to compel us? He wants to fellowship with us and show Himself real and strong every day, throughout the day. Not just when the days are dark and the way fraught with difficulty.

Only to have us once again move on without Him as soon as the storm abates.

He is still the same God that eagerly performed miracles for Elijah, and Daniel, and Joseph, and so many others. He wants us to see His goodness. He wants to show us what He can do. He's just waiting. Patiently waiting for us to stop, and look, and really see Him.

When I remember the heroes of the faith, I admire their steadfastness of fellowship with the Lord. He was their Best Friend. They practically never made a move without seeking His face in earnest prayer. It hit me like a brick that I almost can't remember the last time I earnestly prayed over something with grief and tears, unwilling to let God go until I had an answer. I miss that! Those times are some of my sweetest memories of fellowship with God. Things that were so hard to face, and yet that I would happily go through again to experience God so .... so tangibly.

1 comment:

Stephanie W. said...

Well said.

Photobucket