As a whole, the things that are going on in our lives right now are totally and completely unbelievable. It's tempting to ask if it all isn't some sort of joke. Seriously. I'm so glad we have the Lord and can rest in His care, and that He is proving time and again that what others mean for evil, God intends for good!
The company that my husband currently works for has in recent years become one of the largest proponents of ho*mo*se*xu*ality in the world and a most outspoken enemy of the NRA.
They have also come to believe that any and all safety incidents are avoidable since they strongly impact their bottom line.
Their tool of choice in carrying out the avoidance of any and all safety incidents? The job safety analysis (hereafter referred to as the "JSA"). In a nutshell, a JSA is paperwork that must be filled out prior to any job being done in order to promote employee awareness of possible dangers.
Last week, Josh and a co-worker were out doing a visual inspection for a future job when his co-worker inadvertently side-stepped into some razor wire that was improperly installed too low. It had been deemed a safety risk upon installation, but the company neglected to correct it, and prior to last week's incident Josh had also gotten a very minor cut on his head from it. The injuries amounted to nothing more than a scratch one might get from a pushpin, but nonetheless were considered "safety incidents".
When the facility supervisor was informed of the "incident" he went over to do his own visual inspection. He then headed straight over to Josh's office, and barged in like a bull in a china shop demanding, with language peppered with expletives, to know why a JSA hadn't been filled out prior to the job. Josh, thinking that he was going to be fired on the spot if his supervisor's attitude was any indication, answered calmly and truthfully that one was not needed since no work was actually being done. The guy insisted that one must be filled out regardless. To which Josh replied, "Didn't you just come back from doing a visual inspection?"
"Yes, I did!"
"Did you fill out a JSA?"
"Well! That's an entirely different situation!" And having nothing left to say, turned his back on Josh and didn't recognize his presence for the remainder of the meeting.
To demonstrate not only the waste of time entailed in filling out a JSA form, but also the level of stupidity required to believe it actually makes a positive impact on job safety I relate the following true story:
In a safety meeting the company sponsored not too long ago they were asked to fill out a JSA on the simple task of picking up trash along the side of a road where the pipeline was positively identified nearby. After much deliberation, in which every possible dangerous scenario was thought of and meticulously documented, it was deemed that the job was too dangerous to be carried out. The risk of encountering falling power lines, rusty nails, snakes and so on and so forth was simply too great a risk to take in order to get some trash picked up.
Mission aborted.
Last month the "Great Safety Leader," whom in my opinion is an extremely paranoid, anal-retentive woman, was flown to another state because of a bee sting "incident." The man who got stung had taken the vast amount of time required to fill out the JSA, but was formally reprimanded (three strikes and you're out) since he had failed to list bees as being a potential hazardous encounter on the form. There was a huge to-do made at the facility because of this and the man in question wasn't even allergic. The job he was doing that required a JSA in the first place? Pulling weeds.
As a collective result, Josh was formally reprimanded for insubordination on Friday, AND there are rumors that the entire facility is going to be "cleaned out", and they will start all over again with all new employees. All because Josh asked an honest question. Is it just me, or is there something fishy here? :) Seems to me like they're desperately trying to pass the buck in order to save their own hides. Any other theories, anyone? :)
However, with the eye of faith, I can easily see that this is God's way of "compelling us to go." It is just like God to use insignificant things to bring about the fruition of great things. I'm thankful that Josh isn't losing his job over anything more serious. And the truth is, in what Josh's job entails, there is a potential threat to lives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are celebrating our church's 12th anniversary with special meetings.
Special meetings = spiritual battles.
I can't imagine that we are such a threat to the devil, but I see no other explanation for all that has occurred. Last year Josh and I both were so sick we could hardly talk, but we were scheduled to sing each night. Backing out was not an option, and by the grace and goodness of God alone we got through it to the glory of God.
This year....it is so much more.
Our kids are taking turns with the flu....
Neither one of us get much, if any, sleep due to it....
We don't feel so well ourselves...
I have music commitments every night of the special meeting so Josh has to stay home with the children...
Josh needs to find a new job A.S.A.P....
Our house is in shambles....
We have more work than time to accomplish the work at home, at church, and at Josh's job... (i.e. Josh has a Sunday School class to prepare for, sermons to write, a new air conditioner to install at the church, 70 trees that need to be planted soon, gutters that need to be reattached to the house, a rock garden to finish, and I won't even begin to list the things that need to be done indoors. Suffice it to say that we have basically "moved" without actually changing locations.)
There is a good possibility that we will indeed be moving soon...
This adds to the pressure through the necessity of getting our house sale ready..
Josh's blood pressure has skyrocketed due to his stress levels which leads to extreme muscle pain and tension, and headaches...
which in turn lessens the quality of the small amount of sleep we do get.
The comfort and good in it all?
We know that none of this has taken God by surprise. He has known about it since the very beginning, and He has a plan. We trust Him; not only to provide the grace to accomplish it all to His glory, but also for providing our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs. Our faith is in Him and Him alone. GOD IS GOOD! He not only doesn't give us a stone when we ask for bread; He gives all exceeding abundantly above all that we could ask or think!
"There is no peace, no joy, no thrill
Like walking in His will.
For me to live is Christ,
To die is gain!"
What would we do without Him? I cannot imagine, and, oh, the compassion it stirs in my heart for those who don't have Him in these perilous days. "God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Without Him, I could do nothing. Without Him I'd surely fail, Without Him I would be drifting, like a ship without a sail." So many are there right now...without Him.

2 comments:
Hey, girl!
Good grief... amazing the stuff that goes on "behind the scenes" in some companies, huh? I don't know if I will be of any encouragement to you, but while it's on my mind/heart, I'll pass along my thoughts. I am not saying ANY of this from a know-it-all standpoint, but know that in saying so, it makes me remember more for myself, too.
1) I've said it before, but it bears repeating... When it rains, it pours; but after that, the sunshine comes out. Always... so, just remember that! :) I have a poem on my blog... if you click on my "poems" category, it's the one called "Just For You". That one has been special to me ever since the Lord gave it to me quite a few years ago. During these most trying times, each time you see something as "simple" as a sunset... or a beautiful sunrise... or just some beauty the Lord provides that nearly takes your breath away -- in that moment, soak it all in as if maybe He did it JUST FOR YOU... who knows -- maybe He did, because He thought you needed the encouragement. :) It happens often for me, and is a wonderful blessing each time.
2) Don't feel like you have to take on "too" much. I think sometimes that the Fairhaven mentality instilled in us is hard to shake -- yes, we should be busy for the Lord, whether it be our regular job or actual work in the church; but there comes a point when it is ok to make some "breathing room" for yourself, and not take on everything thrown your way. Maybe this doesn't apply at all, but you (and maybe Josh is the same way... I don't know him well at all, except for what you blog about :) ) seem like a people-pleaser... always wanting to go the extra mile to ensure everyone's happy. Maybe I've got that pegged all wrong -- but just remember that God knows our hearts -- He knows when even ministry work is too much for us... sometimes even taking a break from all the "extras" for a week can be most refreshing! I am not telling ya what to do, dear... just as someone who cares, trying not to let your sweet and willing spirit to carry you further than absolutely necessary into exhaustion. :-/
3) It is truly the end times... ANY person trying to do ANYthing for the Lord today is under attack of the devil. Think of all the times we have "near misses" regarding potential car wrecks, etc. Satan wants us all wiped out. With all you're doing for the Lord, PLUS raising FIVE children to love and fear Him, you bet he wants you wiped out! As you said, praise the Lord that we have HIM through it all!!! So, yeah, you definitely are an "interest" of the devil for serving the Lord... but that's a good thing!
4) Remember that, with all these big things looming over you, it is another opportunity to see God at work. Take each thing as it comes, and I already know that you will prayerfully work through it. Be encouraged that, when the trial is over and you look back at it, you'll be able to exclaim, "GOD DID THAT!" I like the perspective that everything we have belongs to God (well, obviously we know that)... but as such, the perspective becomes, "Ok, God, You gave me this house... now let's see how YOU are gonna fix it/help us sell it/etc.!!!" "Ok, God, You gave us this job... if it's time to move on... let's see what better one you have in store!!!"
I hope none of this comes across from a wrong perspective. I know you know all this stuff, but sometimes it is encouraging to have a reminder, ya know? It is just stuff the Lord's given me to encourage me along the way, and I hope it can be a help to others, too.
I'll be prayin' for ya, too!
Take care,
Hugs, :o)
Stephanie
I will be praying for you guys! We have been so encouraged lately from the Lord and His Word. I have also been thinking how do people do it not knowing the Lord? It has actually stirred my heart to really be compassioned to tell others more. I just can't imagine not having the Lord to turn to. Thinking of you and praying!
Post a Comment