Monday, October 13, 2008

*B.U.S.Y.

Before proceeding, please read this.

I have 19 commitments at church this month. Two of those are nursery duty, and that doesn't include playing the organ for every service. I have to be there early, stay late, or make special arrangements to either sing with Kristy, play for Kristy, sing with Josh, sing a solo, play for a ladies group or to practice for one or a combination of those five things every Sunday and Wednesday. That furthermore does not include all the practicing I have to do at home, just to squeak by (literally more often than not), or the new groups that we've been asked to be a part of.

Stick a fork in me, I am so done.

Josh came home from church this past Wednesday night and said, "We must make having five kids look easy. Do people really not understand what having a large family entails? Why then do they insist on asking us to do more and more when we're already barely getting by as it is? And THEN still refuse to give us a break when we have to put our family first?"

I've been a Christian long enough to know all the trite, pat answers. "His grace is sufficient." Or "Faithful is He that calleth you who also will do it." Or "His yoke is easy and His burden is light."

Is that so?

Well, my response now is a big, fat "Baloney!"

God's promises are there for us to claim only after we obey. We have to do things God's way first. And at first glance, that may seem to be something that it's not...

The devil is so cunning.

Oh, how he loves to make fools out of us. I have been such a fool. I amaze myself with my own blatant, unmitigated stupidity.

Here I've been, going on about wanting to be in the sight of God of great price, even far above rubies, staying b.u.s.y. doing all the things that it "seemed" like I was supposed to stay faithful doing, and the devil's been laughing at me all along.

Someday I may be able to laugh at myself, but I doubt it.

It's not funny. Not funny at all.

It is not okay that I have to put my children in the nursery for every service because neither Josh nor I sit until the preaching begins. They are my responsibility, fully capable of sitting still through a church service with proper training, and not given to me to stash away in a nursery with someone different every single service, or running around after services distractedly supervised (most often not at all) while I dutifully practice and Josh counts money. Jordan and Alia were always with me or a set of grandparents, and I never once had issues to deal with concerning them that I do Isaac and Nathan. Not even close. As my sister so concisely put it, people are more likely to remember me by how my children act than by my playing and singing ability. "Amen, sista'! I hope so!" LOL :)

It's not okay that by the time Monday rolls around I'm too exhausted to even get out of bed at a decent hour, let alone have the motivation to cook and clean and homeschool and be a pleasant, calm, relaxed, good mommy and wife.

And most importantly, it is not okay for me to be so overwhelmed and stressed out with everything that when God finally whacks me over the head with a hammer because I'm too b.u.s.y. to listen, I cry for five days from the exhaustion and confusion that ensues. I wander around in tears from chore to chore amidst unbridled chaos wondering why things are not getting better, when I'm trying so hard to "serve God" faithfully. "Lord, why aren't you helping me?"

And then I remember, "Fret not. My yoke indeed is easy and My burden is light. And there is joy in serving Jesus....when you do it My way."

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."

*Being Under Satan's Yoke

5 comments:

Amy Martin said...

I am praying that you will feel fullfilled and whole with your duties as a mommy and wife at this point in your life. Don't worry about what other people think or how much other people are doing, just do what you KNOW is you duty and God will bless. Your children are all the ministry you need right now!

Deena - said...

Wow can I relate to this!!! I have a ton on my plate as well, and I just want to encourage you Sherri!! Take a few prayerful moments and reorganize your life. I took a look and realized that homeschooling was a priority, being home was as well...not out shopping all day, or on the phone all day, or on this silly computer all day! :-) I was tired of shoving my kids in the nursery in the name of "church duties" like decorating for banquets, making food for functions, and even to practice singing in yet another group! So...I said, "goodbye" to things that do not matter at this point in my life and (with my husbands glad approval I might add here!) decided NOT to decorate for the Mission's Conference, NOT to sing in any group, and when we go soul winning we take ALL the kids with us! Duties will not conflict, and if they do conflict with home, they are probably NOT duties, but "fluff" disguised as "Important duties!" There will be a time in my life when I can sing more, decorate more, and serve more in other places....but my family IS my ministry and they need my undivided attention and love!!! (Husband being the first of course!!) I love ya...keep up the good work!!!!

Sherri said...

Josh is so supportive, too! We both have realized that I can't be as much of an encouragement to him in all that he has to do when I'm stressed myself, so I plan to step out of the spotlight so that it can shine brighter on him.

Please pray for him...Pastor is out of town so he is directing the services and preaching until he gets back. When this month is over, we're going to be in dire need of a break.

Stephanie W. said...

Once again, I'm praying for you. I've often wondered how you "do it all"--trite answers aside! :)

Christa said...

I'll be praying for you! I've been there myself... just not behind the piano. :)

Photobucket