Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On Hospitality

Often when a given subject comes my way from multiple sources, I pay attention and wonder what the Lord is trying to tell me.

I think too much. :)

The latest topic has been hospitality. Several weeks ago Josh came upstairs from reading his Bible, and informed me that he wanted me to teach on this particular subject for my first Sunday School class with the young married ladies.

I sat in stunned silence, registering this tidbit of new information, for a good ten minutes.

And with me that's sayin' somethin'.

The fingers of dread and, yes, bitterness, began their grip on my heart and stomach. I held my tongue and repeated to myself "Don't say anything you'll regret!! Remember the definition of reverence!"

All the while, right under the surface just waiting to boil over, were thoughts of incredulity...

"You have GOT to be kidding me..."

"I have at least five good lessons that actually have to do with marriage all ready to go. I know this stuff. I do not know about hospitality, and, frankly, have no desire whatsoever to learn about it either..."

"You have to 'practice what you preach'. We have people over maybe once a year. Maybe. In my mind, hospitality, as defined by most Christians, is synonymous with going out and adopting triplets. I have enough to do, thankyouverymuch."

See, I told you. Bitterness in all it's ugliness.

So I prayed about it, and began to look for resources. I kid you not, all I came across were real live hospitality horror stories. Page after page after page of them. No joke.

I prayed some more, and read books I already had on my shelf pertaining to this, and got more and more discouraged with each and every chapter. I finally bought a book that came highly recommended as a last resort. If this one didn't say anything that I hadn't already read, I was done.

It didn't.

"Lord, what are you trying to teach me here?"

I so can't do this. I'm not kidding. After what I have read, and all the perfectionism disguised as "being relaxed and at ease, and yet, elegant"....well, it's enough to make me throw up. Really.

Take this for example: (and just for kicks, read it with a Miss Priss tone.) :)

One entire chapter is taken for "Writing a Menu".

"Like everything else in life, there is a right and wrong way to do the following in the realm of entertaining. The right way involves the following: writing a menu, setting a table, utilizing types of table service, following table service rules, selecting the correct table coverings, plates glasses, and silverware." (emphasis added)

"The following format is recommended for writing a menu. Capitalize the first letter of every food as you write the menu.


Main Dish
Vegetable Vegetable
Salad
Bread
Beverage
Dessert


If you have more than one item in any category, you balance them on either side of the center. If you have three items, one is centered, and the others balanced to the left and to the right of the centered menu item.

Roast Beef and Gravy
Mashed Potatoes Green Beans
Orange Salad
Whole Wheat Rolls
Coffee Iced Tea Milk
Cherry Cheesecake"


It goes on to say that, "No menu has to contain all the categories, but the ones used should be in the listed form. I write menus for my benefit to make sure they don't break established rules and to make it easier to make a shopping list. Menus are for the benefit of the hostess and not usually given to the guests."

Tell me something, please; why in the world would I go to all this trouble for myself? I can see no way that capitalizing or not capitalizing would benefit me in the least, can you? Let me just say for the record that I knew all these rules beforehand, but 10 plus years of practical experience has proven to me that not only are most of the "rules" impractical, they simply do not make one iota of difference.

WHY would I go to the trouble and expense of finding and using a "correct" tablecloth only to have it ruined within minutes by one or more of five children spilling multiple things on it? I need to wipe my table off many times a day. I know what would happen like I know my own name. It would be ludicrous; only adding stress to the already stressful situation of having guests around to watch me as I unset the table, take the tablecloth off, treat it for stains, come back upstairs to reset the table and try to finish dinner in a pleasant manner, or, in all likelihood leaving it while we finish the meal allowing the stain to thoroughly set.

Josh did buy me a nice set of matching plates for our anniversary a few years ago, and while I agree that it is wonderful to show your family that they are special by using your nicest dishes on a regular basis, the ultimate and sure end result is chips and cracks that deem them no longer "company worthy." By perfectionist standards anyway.

If you come to my house for a meal you will find the table simply set (with mismatched dishes and silverware), bare of any table covering (correct or incorrect), with no centerpiece (because it will only have to be removed to make room for the food). The food itself will be delicious and filling but nothing particularly special; Tacos, Enchiladas, Burritos, Chili, Spaghetti, Lasagna, Baked Chicken or Hamburgers in all likelihood. (Notice I properly capitalized each food. Does anyone care that the format is all wrong? I didn't think so. :))

I wish I could say that my time has been well spent, and I have come out on the other side enthusiastic about hospitality.

But I can't.

I have learned something though! :) It's okay to be yourself, and do what works for you, regardless of what anyone else may think. The important thing is having people over for fellowship. Keep it simple. The fact is: there is no wrong way to go about being hospitable. Common courtesy is all that is required.

Make sure your house is reasonably clean; it doesn't have to be perfect. It's okay to close doors to certain rooms. If someone does go through and looks at your house anyway, don't stress. Just laugh and admit that your house is lived-in and thoroughly enjoyed; it's not a shrine. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me. And more often than not, someone has come across a used Pull-Up or two that were nonchalantly left on the floor. People will respect you more for being real than for being a perfectionist. Don't be afraid to ask your guests to bring something to help you out. Leave the majority of the clean-up for afterward, unless your guests offer to help you and you can fellowship and enjoy the process.

The Lord will bless your efforts when you do things for His honor and glory, even if it isn't perfect. "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not unto men." Your heart attitude matters more than any other single thing. Even if the food flops, if you take it with the right heart attitude, you have succeeded. Do not let others make you feel inferior when they quote verses such as "Let all things be done decently and in order." Their specifics concerning that and yours will be vastly different. One is by no means better or worse than the other. Just different.

Embrace your uniqueness, sit back, relax, and enJOY being a hostess.

Oh, and don't feel guilty if you are at a point in your life where hospitality cannot be a priority. That is OKAY. Really! :) Someday it will be a joy. Don't force it when it isn't, or you will potentially ruin it for yourself forever. :)

7 comments:

Amy Martin said...

I always love having people over. The more 'at home' they feel, the better it is for everyone. I don't mind getting up and serving everyone, but by all means, help yourself to whatever you need/want. Make yourself comfortable. ~that's my philosophy

Anonymous said...

My philosophy is: you are a guest the first visit, after that, you're family. Help yourself! If you don't see something you need or want, look for it. If you are coming over to see my house please let me know in advance, if you are coming over to vist, drop in anytime! 2 minutes after company walks through the door the house looks like it hasn't been cleaned anyway. I remember 2 girls always asking when we cleaned house, "Who's coming over?", as if the only time we cleaned was when we were having company!!
Love ya,
Mom, Grammie, Judy

Amanda said...

Did you read the book that the church library has on hospitality? I laughed most of the way through it. I think that you may have quoted it in your post. There are some good things in it. I don't think that even Mrs. Cleaver followed these rules, though.

I think that you have the right idea. I like having people over once they are here. I stress out knowing that they are coming, though. I think that I would be crying if I had to follow the rules and we would have company once, maybe twice, before I had to be committed. Really.

Who are these people having over,anyway? The Governor? The President? The head of a college?
I would not be comfortable being a guest in a home where these rules were followed!
BTW I have enjoyed every single time that we/I have been guests in your home. Pullups or no Pullups!

Sherri said...

Yep, that book was the last one I was referring to. Oh. My. Word. I seriously told Josh I was taking it back.

Ironically, every single book I already have on my shelf about this is written by someone affiliated with that college. I never noticed before. I'm going to avoid them like the plague now. LOL :)

Deena - said...

My 2 cents is: Use what you have, as the Lord will bless you using what you have presently and your thankfulness will most definitely determine Him graciously providing new things. Love whom you have over. Everything can wait. Make a connection, laugh, and make memories. Enjoy where you live. My house is as old as the hills, filled with 5 kiddos, and there is always dirt somewhere. The people you influence the most are the people you open your house to (not spit shine it for) and invest yourself in. Don't sweat the small stuff. People will not remember the fork being on the other side of the plate, but they will remember your temper with the children, your tone with them, and that look during the meal that says, "Why on earth do I invite people over!?" Anyone wanna come over and make a pie with me?? :-)

Anonymous said...

Sherri,I really like reading your blog. I feel the same way as you do about having company over because my house is never spotless, and I only have 2 kids! Usually when we have company, is is a last-minute decision -- and then the house is definitely not spotless!! True friends overlook the dust in the corners. We have always ended up having such a good time that we wonder why we don't have people over more often.
Jennifer

Stephanie said...

I think all the feedback you've already received is wonderful! I agree w/ them all! I don't have many opportunities to have people over. During the times I do (remembering that the woman in Proverbs 31 is "given to hospitality"), I try to create a relaxed atmosphere. I don't wanna do dishes... so I'll buy disposable plasticware... or whatever. When I have been invited to someone's home, and they go "all out", it makes me uncomfortable. I feel much better to just simply feel welcomed into someone's home. As Deena said... use what you have. The type of people who will criticize likely are not the ones you'd invite back anyway. Another thought is this: hospitality may also be giving of what you have OUTside of your home. For example, maybe there's a family in your church going through a tough time, and they've not been home to cook meals. Maybe a person could make a casserole (as simple as possible for the "maker"), and find a way to get it to them. That, too, is hospitality. I believe that hospitality is from the heart -- reaching out to others... not being bound by "rules". I personally never care about how "perfect" someone's home is or isn't when I'm there. I go to see my friends, NOT their home... ya know? Don't let the concept of hospitality overwhelm you, dear. Just like the reverence you mentioned for your husband, hospitality comes naturally and with much less effort when there is an attitude of love behind it. :)

Photobucket