Thursday, April 16, 2009

Music!

I love music. Good times are made even better, and the bad times become blessings with the right music in the background.

A few posts ago I asked for you to share some of your favorite music. Now it's my turn. :)

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people get stingy with good music. I totally detest that. I know that, like me, many of you are the sources of a lot of the special music in your churches. It's particularly challenging to find sheet music when you come across a song that you really like, especially when you have a low voice. So in the interest of "practicing what I preach" here are my most treasured resources for special music as well as cd's for your own personal listening enjoyment.


Sheet music:

Never The Same Music Publishing, a ministry of Open Door Bible Baptist Church of Astoria. I really like this website. You can listen to each song before you purchase the sheet music. Each song is sold separately.


Groups that write and record their own music:

Doug and Jennifer Cassel. Josh knew Jennifer growing up, and Aspen is good friends with Jennifer's sister. In order to get the music, you have to call them. As of last year, they only had a handful of published music, but if you are blessed with an accomplished piano player, or one that plays by ear they can send you the words with the chords written above them. That's primarily what Josh and I use when we sing together.

Inspirational Songs written and recorded by Tricia Crabtree. CD's and accompanying song books are available! :)

The John Marshall Family has more music than this, but I'm having a hard time finding the specific cd's that I have. Most of their songs can be found in the link above from Never The Same Publishing.


Music Books:

Low Voice Treasury

60 Great Solos For Low Voice

Low Voice Classics


CD's:

His Great Love by His Own

What A Day by His Own

God Meant It For Good by The Wild's

Higher Ground by the Steve Petite travelling group

Press On cd featuring my favorite song "A Simple Offering." Love. It. :)

Hyles-Anderson College 2006 Summer Tour Groups.

There's more, but these are my absolute favorites. Make a wish list, save up for them, and enjoy! It will be money well spent.

6 comments:

Stephanie W. said...

I was meaning to ask you if you've ever heard the Marshalls sing "I Could Not Do Without Thee." I've been practicing this song for our choir and was told that the Marshalls sing it. However, I haven't found it yet as being one that they sing. So, I listened to it on the Beckenhorst Press site; it's a pretty song. Frances Havergal wrote the words, and Craig Curry wrote the music.

Stephanie W. said...

Hey, maybe you should put a music list on the right side of your blog for us!

Amanda said...

It's a good thing that not everybody is stingy! Sharing is something that everyone should do, right? =)
I wish that I could contribute something interesting, but I am...musically challenged...is a good term, I think.

Sherri said...

I haven't heard the Marshall's sing that song, but I have a "Wild's" cd with it on there. It's one of my favorites. :) That beckenhorst press site is nice. Is that who you went through to publish your songs?

Stephanie W. said...

Well, I'm glad you know the song I'm talking about then. I'm glad it's not too hard to play, so that I can pretty much have it ready to go Sunday evening. No, my songs aren't published--just copyrighted. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sherri. I'm one of Stephanie's friends, and I've enjoyed reading some of your blog/links etc. Couldn't help but reply to this one for you and Stephanie-the Marshalls do sing "I Could Not Do Without Thee" as they sang it for my weddnig! : ) (2002) It's on their CD "Peace". They don't sell all their CD's all the time now due to less traveling and more cost. I think they plan to sell more in the future as money allows. (They are members of the church ny dad pastors-so I can keep in touch pretty well.)

Photobucket