Monday, July 14, 2008

A Slumber Party! :)


It's hiking season. Josh loves to hike! Sadly, I do not. He looks forward to summer all year long though, and even plans his vacation days around his hiking excursions. :)

True to his ever over-achieving form, he goes on mountain hikes; all the way to the top because so few others attempt it, and he thoroughly enjoys the solitude.

This year he has been trying to recruit some other athletic guys from our church to go with him; Kyle, our Pastor's son, being one of them. It just hasn't worked out. Josh had decided that he wasn't going to go since no one could go along besides Jordan because we are, after all, in the middle of some major projects here at home.

I knew he really wanted to go though, so on Thursday, I called him at work and told him I thought he should just take Jordan and go. After a little bit of discussion since it was so last minute, he left work, raced to the store, came home, packed and was on his way.

When Josh is gone, I do not sleep well. Freaky things happen when I'm alone.

Thursday night was miserable. I didn't fall asleep until 3:30 a.m. and even then I just dozed. I kept thinking that it would be so much more fun if I had someone who could come over, and just hang out here with me when Josh is gone. The only people I could think of that had no children and weren't married were Stephanie, Maggie, and Kristy. But seriously, what teenage girl would want to spend a Friday evening with someone older and married with kids?

Bright and early Friday morning I received an email from Kristy offering to come and stay with me when Josh is gone, especially if Kyle is gone with him. How cool is that? :) I was so excited, and prayed and asked the Lord to just work it all out if that's what He wanted.

Shortly after that my computer crashed. Big time. I lost everything. I'm pretty sure Josh got most of our pictures on a USB drive when we were having troubles with it before, but all of our music and other special programs are gone so I couldn't email her back, and it was too early to call.

I have been keeping an eye on my mom and dad's house so I left to head to Laurel, still thinking about whether or not to ask Kristy to come over that night. I had also promised Alia a girl's day out, since Jordan got to go with Daddy. The church is on our way to the bookstore we were going to, so I spontaneously decided to stop and see if Kristy was at the church. If she wasn't, I was just going to hope Josh came home that night and leave it at that. :)

But she was there, and seemed just as excited as I felt about the idea! We planned pizza, popcorn, smoothies, pop, chocolate and movies, and I even got one of our mutually favorite sugar-laden cereal, Apple Jacks, for Saturday morning. :)

She was supposed to arrive around five. At 4:45 Josh called. He had had a horrible time and was headed home for a hot shower, a massage, and his own warm, comfy bed.

"What!?! But, Honey, you can't come home yet! Kristy is coming over and we have plans for a slumber party, and do you know how long it's been since I've had a real slumber party?"

Josh: "Wasn't it like 15 years ago, when you almost died of an asthma attack from laughing so hard at all your friends antics?"

Me: "Yes, 15 whole years ago! Are you sure you don't want to just go camping along the river someplace that you don't have to hike to?"

Josh: "What?"

Me: "Okay, fine. I'll call her and tell her not to come. Even though she's probably already on her way here. See you in a little bit."

Josh: "No wait. (Long pause) I guess Jordan and I will head back and see if we can't find a place to camp out for the night." Then with the phone muffled to his chest, "Jordan, do you want to camp out again tonight?"

Jordan: "Ummm, not really. Can't we just go to Grammy and Poppa's house?"

Josh and I simultaneously: "Yes!! That's a great idea!"

So off they went to watch a movie, and eat pizza and popcorn there, while Kristy and I had a blast here doing much the same thing. :) Except with a lot of talking going on in between. :)




Kristy is an amazing girl. She was diagnosed with cancer of the eye at the age of 18, has been in remission for nearly three years, and is an exceptionally gifted pianist. Alia's favorite person used to be Kristy's sister, Jessica, but after Friday night, I think she has a new favorite person and excellent role model. She was at the piano at 9:00 sharp Saturday morning diligently practicing her lessons. :) Kristy and her family are going through a very difficult time right now because of Jessica, but are handling it all with grace and beauty and I appreciate their testimony and faithfulness very much. They are often in our prayers.

Thanks so much for coming, Kristy. I had an awesome time, and thanks to you, the little sleep I got that night was sound and refreshing. ;) I hope we can do it again sometime. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie W. said...

Say, the next time Mark is gone for a night or two, how about a slumber party at my house? There are no kids and it's reeaallly quiet [maybe too quiet for you :)]!

Amanda said...

Glad that you had fun! I hope that Riky and Josh get an opportunity(coment windows need spell check!) to go together sometime. Maybe we could ditch all of the kids and do something grown up for a change. And eat chinese food-- with ginger ;)

Photobucket