Monday, January 28, 2008

Randomness

"A leader is a person who has the ability to get others to do what they don't want to do, and like it." President Harry S. Truman

Saturday was a very eventful day.

Josh was trying to get ready to head out the door for soul-winning when we got into a somewhat heated discussion about Ron Paul versus Mike Huckabee. He was recruited to sit at Mike Huckabee's table for the Montana Republican Party Winter Kickoff that afternoon. Mike Huckabee's wife, Janet, was speaking at the event on behalf of Mike, and Rand Paul was speaking on behalf of his dad. (For those of you who don't know, Josh is a staunch Mike Huckabee fan, and I really like Ron Paul.)

Josh was saying, "If I can't even get my own wife to see the sense in voting for Mike Huckabee since he's actually electable how in the world am I ever going to convince anyone else?" About that time Isaac started to cry about something. I picked him up and told him he was okay, and continued the discussion with Isaac wailing in my arms. Frustrated and in a hurry, Josh and Jordan rushed out the door after Jordan explained that Isaac was crying because he had pulled Isaac up the stairs (while Isaac was pulling the other direction) and heard his arm pop.

I got the kids ready to go to my mom and dad's house for the afternoon, and Isaac just sat on the floor in the same spot the entire time. When I would ask him where it hurt, he would point to his wrist so I figured it was probably just a bad sprain. "Surely it couldn't be another broken bone", I thought, "We just got done paying for his leg, for crying out loud."

I got to the meeting right on time, and we were the first ones to sit at our table. One by one more people came to fill up the remaining seats who had three or more children themselves and were homeschoolers. It was really neat! :) The first man that sat down actually said, "You have several children, don't you?" After we replied he said, "And let me guess, you homeschool, too, right? It's written all over you guys." He had four children, all stair-stepped in age, and homeschooled as well. Super nice guy.

Things were running a little late, so Brad Anderson, the leader of the Montana Republican Central Committee came up to Josh, and said he really wanted to get to know us better. As we chatted, out of the blue he asked Josh if he would consider running for the legislature. He said that younger people were needed that would vote unwaveringly for the things that are so important to our generation.... homeschooling rights in particular.

This is the second time in the last three months that Josh has been approached about this. It really made us both stop and think. It would definitely have to be clear that it was God's will, because we could never make it financially if God wasn't behind it. We would be in Helena during the week during the regularly scheduled sessions and back home on the weekends, and Josh would have to subcontract for Conoco during the summer break. I don't really see this happening, but it would make complete sense as far as what God has for us not being what I had in mind. :)

Mrs. Huckabee was finally introduced and did a fantastic job on her speech. Immediately after that Rand Paul got up and spoke.

Mrs. Huckabee was very strait forward and honest about her husband's campaign. She never mentioned fellow Republican contender's names in her speech. Rand Paul on the other hand, seemed bent on tearing Mike Huckabee apart, and in several instances twisted things to make Mike appear dishonest, but it only made Rand appear that way to those of us who know the issues, and where each person really stands. I was very disappointed. I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't voting for Rand, I was voting for Ron. :/

We got the opportunity to visit with Mrs. Huckabee after both speeches. She mentioned that she wished that she could give a rebuttal speech, but that apparently you only get one chance when it comes to this stuff. (I told Josh later that the thing I like the most about the Huckabee campaign is that they keep it clean. That's what meekness is, turning the other cheek; doing your best and leaving the rest up to God.)

A man approached her while we were talking and said, "It was so good to have you here today, Mrs. Paul." She very graciously replied, "Well, I'm Mrs. Huckabee, but thank you very much for having me. It was my pleasure to be here. This is such lovely country you have here." She was so sweet about it and as the man was apologizing profusely she said, "Please, there is no need to apologize. Don't give it another thought." She bid him good-day, and turned to continue her conversation with us as if nothing at all out of the ordinary had happened. I was very impressed!

Josh took me out to dinner to discuss the events of the day, and afterward, I called my mom to see how Isaac was. My dad said that he really thought we should take him in to the walk-in clinic. So, the remainder of the evening was spent at St. V's. Isaac had what they called nursemaid's elbow, and they popped it back into place in 10 seconds flat. They gave him some children's Motrin and he's been as good as new ever since.

4 comments:

Amy Martin said...

I'm glad Isaac is doing better.

Sounds like Josh has some decisions to be making here soon. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Amanda said...

We will be praying for you to know what the Lord's will is. Not that you asked, but we will also be rooting for you to stay here! All the time. We would miss you to no end!

Anonymous said...

Wow it neat to know someone so close to the campaing trail. We will pray for you as well.
Gald it was nothing to serious with Isaac's arm.

Sherri said...

I keep forgetting to mention that Josh wrote a speech for Mike Huckabee's campaign in Iowa. He dictated it over the phone to his mom, since he couldn't be there. At the Presidential election rally that his parent's went to during the Iowa caucus, not one person spoke on behalf of Mike Huckabee. Before they closed the podium to speakers they asked if anyone had anything else to say. Connie raised her hand and requested to speak on behalf of the Huckabee campaign. She read Josh's speech, and Mike Huckabee ended up winning the vote in that precinct!

Photobucket