
I've been reading Beverly Lewis' "The Heritage of Lancaster County" series.
It tells the story of a girl who grew up in an Amish community, and through unforeseen events inherited a large estate which she eventually donated as a hospice for terminally ill patients. She longed for beautiful things, especially music, which were forbidden by her people. After she had experienced both lifestyles, she chose to become Mennonite because she longed for the fulfillment in the simplicity of the life she grew up with, but she could still have her music.
I soaked up the reasoning she went through to come to her conclusions. It has made me see the everyday things that I have to do in a different light, and has made them become so much more meaningful! Something that I really didn't think was possible, despite Flylady's saying it was so.
There's an underlying joy in domestic duties that one without a family cannot experience. Is there a more higher calling than living to serve the people you love the most as service to the King so that they in turn can live a life of faith before others? The longer I live the more convinced I am that my purpose in life is to glorify God through being the best wife and mother I can be, for Him. Living my faith before my family is the one thing that will last for eternity, and it's a moment by moment decision. I can't be the best wife and mother if my time is taken up running around every time I turn around; distracted by the lifestyle all around us.
I would love not having a telephone, and I could definitely do without a tv. Electricity is another matter. I don't think I could do without that. But, the distractions pulling me from every direction (even the computer adds an undo amount of stress) I would most thankfully live without. Makeup and clothes would be harder to let go, but I think the thing God is impressing on my heart the most is just that I need to dramatically simplify my life. Namely, getting rid of things that add unnecessary clutter and disorganization. (After all, "a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth.) It's so enjoyable to clean when you're not having to conquer clutter as you go.
It is my duty as a wife to submit to the lifestyle choices of my husband, and I'm so thankful for his common sense, no nonsense approach to life. He's so good at organizing, and getting rid of non essentials that I don't know what I'd do without him! The more I think about it, the more I can see how everyone could greatly differ on defining a "simple" life. Slowly, we're getting to where we'd like to be while respecting the choices of others.

1 comment:
Well said. My sentaments(sp?) exactly. Except I really do like the phone. Everything else, I agree with. Some other things that I like about the Amish and Mennonite groups are the bees. Quilting bees, canning bees, barn raisings... Such a sense of togetherness. Also, the charity gardens. You have that covered already! You give of your(begrudgingly gotten) produce freely. You're on your way ;)
Post a Comment