Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Savoring The Silence

Monday morning we all got up, and got chores and schoolwork done in record time. At noon my mom and dad were scheduled to come pick Jordan and Alia up to help with some work at their house. What motivation!

When they got here Dillon very casually and discreetly mentioned that he had gotten all his work done, and that he had plenty of clothes to take to Grammy's house if she decided to take him, too. Seeing Grammy's hesitation, and taking note of the fact that she didn't say no right away, he mentioned that he could help with the work and threw in that he really liked it, for good measure.

Who can resist such sweetness?

Of course, he got to go.

That left just Isaac and Nathan. Usually this is more work than it's worth without the boundless energy of the older three to be my extra hands and feet. But this time it has been wonderful. I hardly even know either one of them are here. Mostly because they've been sleeping a lot for some reason, but also because they have three less people constantly pulling at them trying to keep them out of trouble, I think.

But the best part is that my house was thoroughly clean before the kids left on Monday and it has been a piece of cake to keep it looking nice. I feel like I can really relax. That's such a nice feeling. I don't often get to read, or blog, or watch a movie guilt-free.

I don't realize how much I need the break until they're actually gone. Someone once said that if you don't come apart from time to time from the hustle and bustle of life, that you'll eventually fall apart. I can attest to that.

Many people I know miss their kids after just a few hours, and their house feels empty, but I've never experienced that personally. I enjoy and give thanks for every moment of solitude, peace, and quiet. But I am happy to see them when they come home, and I love them more than words can say. I can't imagine my life without them.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey, you forgot to mention the delightful conversation shared over a pile of laundry, sleeve of cookies and a glass of sweet tea ;) And the cute boots! Love Ya. I am thankful that you appreciate the time to recharge. If I were you, I would be reading in that spectacular tub of yours! But that's just me.

Amy Martin said...

I can attest to the quiet that surrounds me when just ONE of my kids is away. No fussing. No fighting. No running. No arguing. It is a wonderful reprive, but I do really miss each one, by days end. It's nice to be a family again at the end of the day. Mostly cause Johnny's here to help me with it all then.

Photobucket