As we were "praying in" the year 2009, little did we know what adventures Father had in store for our family. And they all centered around that one event of staggering proportions without which, life as we know it simply wouldn't be the same. But we wouldn't have it any other way.
If my parents had not gone to prison:
~God's justice wouldn't be as precious to us were it not for the glaring contrast of this world's injustice that we experienced.
~We would not know so fully the truth of many seeming contradictions; like never being so strong as when we are weak. We saw with our own eyes His strength being made perfect in our weakness.
~My children would not have had front and center seats to the most valiant and touching displays of courage and faith in action by two real, live heroes of the faith, perpetually .
~Our faith would not have grown so quickly as with each step of faith we took, the next became even more clear.
~We wouldn't have witnessed the moving of so many mountains in ways that could only be explained as "divine acts of God".
~We would have forfeited the privilege of seeing God do so many great things in the ignorance, and smallness of what we thought we wanted.
~We wouldn't be as close to the Lord having not had to lean so hard on Him.
And most importantly...
~Fourteen people, and counting, would still be on their way to an eternity in hell.
In the most unexpected turn of events, and in ways we never would have chosen, God has made us missionaries in 2009: My mom to California, my dad to South Dakota, and Josh and I to Wisconsin. And he orchestrated it all within a matter of 24 hours.
I stand in awe of Him.
Could the Lord have brought all this about in a different way? Of course. But He's incomparably efficient. He knew that this would ultimately be the hardest, yet shortest, route to the place He wants us to be in order to become vessels unto honor, fit for the Master's own use.
It's been wonderful! He was right... "Every stumbling block, every hardship, every aching muscle, all the fatigue, every tear. By comparison this valley will be nothing." God has shown Himself faithful and true and real and unutterably amazing in so many ways. There isn't one thing I would change if I could. I only wish I had given Him more. If I've learned one thing this year, it's that the things I used to consider to be blessings are actually burdens that have hindered my walk with the Lord, and burdens have become the sweetest blessings of all. Philippians 3:7-10
It makes my heart leap for joy in anticipation of what 2010 holds!
♪♪HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!♪♪

3 comments:
It was fun going back through the year with you like that. I have been missing you so much this last week, I just haven't had time to call. My favorite New Year's memory was with you guys. Maybe that's why. Have fun at your watchnight service. I'll be thinking of you! BTW, I still have to get your gift in the mail. It's gonna be a "Happy New Year" gift instead if a Merry Christmas, but it'll be there...someday! Love you guys!
Just looked at your blog for the first time...sounds as though you are coming forth as gold! God bless you in that. Where in Wisconsin are you? Have marked your blog and will check back often and it's great to be connected on FB! You hae a beautiful family.
We live near Eau Claire. Thanks for stopping by! =-)
Post a Comment