Thursday, February 19, 2009

Seemingly Contradictions


A friend recently recommended "The Embrace Of Grace" by Caleb Thompson via her face book status. She claimed it would change my life.

She was right.

I don't think I've ever had the privilege of holding in my hands a more inspired book written by another mere mortal. And I've read a lot of really good books. {It goes without saying here that, of course, I do not include my KJV Bible in this statement, (that's written by God), but someone is bound to take issue with it if I don't say it.}

Tears were streaming down my face within the first few pages. The Lord knew this was what I needed right. now.

The devil knew it, too. I had so much trouble finding this book. Everything I tried was a dead end. But I kept persevering until I found it here.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am sick. Again. :) Sickness in our home hasn't been as bad as previous years as far as intensity, frequency, and number of people effected at once goes, but still... It occurred to me that if I wasn't sick, I probably would not have taken the time to read this book as soon as it came in the mail. Today. Yes, I'm almost finished. I will have to go back and read it again and again to absorb all the divine wisdom that applies to my life. I kid you not, this book was written for me. Nearly every page holds conviction. But it was also the perfect opportunity to put what I was learning into practice. For once, I've been able to view sickness as a gift!

Something that stood out to me that I have been pondering lately is how the Christian life is chock full of seeming contradictions. From man's perspective it's impossible to imagine how God's strength can be made perfect in our weakness, or how it is blessed to mourn. How is one supposed to glory in tribulation? Is that even possible?

It is. Through the limitless grace of "Father!"

Only God's grace could turn burdens into blessings, groaning into glorying, tragedies into triumphs, loss into gain, weakness into strength, trials into treasures, afflictions into abundance, pain into praise, disappointment into delight, a cross into a crown, or death into life.

There is a divine purpose in every trial, tribulation, and distress that God allows into our lives. In ways we cannot see, our embracing God's grace through them puts God's plans into motion. He is accomplishing great things through the devil's attacks on us; things that the devil means for evil, but God means for good! His own devices are used against him because God is good. He is in control. And while suffering is not pleasant, it is ALWAYS worth it!

I've asked the question several times, "Why don't we choose to draw close to God in the good times so that He doesn't have to put us through the fire of afflictions to draw us to His arms?"

Caleb answered my question.

"Pain, suffering, loneliness, and weakness accomplish more than we ever could by our determinations. If we could draw closer to the Lord and bear fruit without these elements, we would receive the credit and could write a step-by-step book. But with infirmity to destroy our strength, we become helpless, and God performs His purposes in our lives to the praise of His glory. We need these elements in our lives in some shape or form until Jesus returns, that it may be all of Christ!

I know it is hard to believe, but we do not know what is best for our lives. If Father gave us everything we wanted, He would have to spare His chastening rod, stay the storm, and douse the fiery trial instead of purging and refining our character, and purifying and preparing us for every good work. Infirmity arouses us from our security and complacency, awakening us to our desperate need for Christ. Be honest with yourself. Did you ever have to need the Lord daily, hourly, moment by moment before infirmities plagued you? Did you recognize that Jesus was all you needed before He was all you had?"

God knows best. He is my Father. I can trust Him. I know He loves me. I know it because He takes the time to chasten and refine me. Those that live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. It's a fact. Plain and simple. If my life is not bringing glory to God, the devil has no reason to frown on me, and "Father" has no reason to smile upon me.

Trials are something to glory in. It is an honor to suffer shame for His name. It is even a joy. I will no longer fear praying, "Not my will, Lord, but Thine be done." I will trust Him.

"He's the only king who had to die for His kingdom to begin;
The only King Who surrendered to win.
He's the only King every king will bow before and sing,
'Jesus Christ is Lord of lords. He is the only King!'"

If you haven't yet, get this book and read it. I promise, it will change your life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{Postscript: I did not realize until I was finished reading that I went to college with Caleb's sister Tisa, and had heard about Caleb and his brother Joshua being sent to prison for disciplining an eleven year old child in their Christian school. Joshua was sentenced to 26 years in the state penitentiary, and Caleb to 14 years as an accomplice. They've currently served five years.

Oral arguments for my mom and dad's appeal are scheduled for March 9th. Please pray for freedom and victory.}

8 comments:

Stephanie W. said...

Wow--this does sound like a great book, Sherri. And, it's refreshing to know of another book written about grace in the right way (as opposed to its being a license to live however one wants to as a Christian). What a blessing that this book could be such a help to you at this particular time! I had to laugh at myself when you mentioned the connection of the author at the end; I didn't even catch that at the beginning when I read his name! Yes, he would definitely know about grace in trials as would Rosanna's sister, who is married to I forget which one--Joshua? They hadn't been married long at all when this all happened. Thanks for the reminder to pray about your parents' case as well.

Stephanie W. said...

By the way, when I clicked on the link for the book, an error message appeared. But, I found it at victorybaptistpress.com.

Rebecca said...

I love to hear about a good book.
I went to Victory Press also and found it under Prayer, Devotionals & Spiritual Growth. It took me a few minutes to scroll through so I thought I would redeem some time for others.
I am looking forward to ordering it soon.
I hope you are feeling better today, I woke up this morning with a bad sore throat. I am not looking forward to the next few days ahead, but like you said, Stop and realize all things can be turned into a blessing if we have the right attitude.
God bless you and I enjoy your blog.
I read that you went to Fairhaven,
I have known several people that went to that school. Matter of fact, we were in Bro. Burkes church in Goshen, Ohio for about 5 years and we were with him in Kansas also. We are good friends with his son Travis and his wife Stacey Burke.
We also took our teens to Empowered youth when my husband was pastoring in Goodland Kansas.

It is a small world.

Sherri said...

Stephanie ~ I didn't know that about Roseanna! Oh my goodness, that is just amazing. Their family has touched so many people's lives and I've just been blown away with how many of them I know personally.

I think I fixed the link, but the book is still not on the page that comes up. :-/ Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Rebecca ~ I've wanted to thank you for all your comments recently. I did go to college with Travis and his sister Crystal. They were so much fun! :)

It is indeed a small world!

Stephanie W. said...

Sherri ~ Obviously, by going to that web site (remembermybonds2.com) I figured out who married who. :) (Maressa is Rosanna's sister.) That was very interesting to read how their wives are getting along, as well as a few more details about their case and confinement time. I had no idea they had this site, so thanks ~ a good reminder to pray for them.

Seasons of a Helpmeet said...

Ohhhhh I'm so jealous! I've been wanting to read Caleb's book. It must be marvelous. It's on my list to buy! I've been keeping up with their website for several years. Thanks for the preview! :)

Seasons of a Helpmeet said...

Ohhhhh I'm so jealous! I've been wanting to read Caleb's book. It must be marvelous. It's on my list to buy! I've been keeping up with their website for several years. Thanks for the preview! :)

Deena - said...

Glad it was a blessing to you also!

Photobucket