Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Another Random Picture Post

It's become almost a daily ritual for Jordan and I to anticipate reveling in the beauty of the marvelous sunsets we've been blessed to receive lately. I think they have been the motivation I need to work on my photography skills. The pictures I've taken so far really do not do them justice.

It seems that as Alia gets older she becomes more okay with the idea of cutting her hair shorter. Fighting with it every day really does get old. Then we get pictures like this, and she is all for keeping it long and therefore keeping her daddy happy because it makes her happy, too. :)

Now onto my new and improved living room pix:


Putting this banister in was probably the most difficult thing we have had to tackle so far in this whole project. It took five of us to hold it together because the balusters kept wanting to fall out. If you've never put in a banister before, and therefore don't know what a pain in the behind it is, my advice to you is DON'T DO IT!!! The upside? Our kids are gonna be some of the most experienced kids in all things innovative and creative. :)

Let's pretend the cords aren't there, k? They won't be as soon as Josh gets the outlet put in on top of the fireplace where the swag is.
This room has no lights installed so we have to rely entirely on lamps. This is what we have, so...... :) It works. I have a praise I have to share; most of my wall-hangings I already own match perfectly! That is such a relief to me.
When I saw this plaque at my new favorite store, Hobby Lobby, I cried instantly. Maybe you have seen it, but I had never heard of this saying before, and it just hit me that God wanted this to be the focal point of our home. God has been teaching me the depth of this truth in a new way recently, and it was as if He placed the answer to so many questions in black and white right in front of my face. I am so apt to forget! But He knows this so He made it possible for me to "keep it as frontlets between th(m)ine eyes." Cost was not a factor because I knew I was to buy it, but when I got to the check-out counter I found out that the price had been reduced to $14! And the tears came again. :) I love how God shows so plainly that He cares about even the smallest, most insignificant detail of my life!

8 comments:

Stephanie W. said...

Oooo...so many good things to comment on! ~ beautiful sunset; Alia's pretty, long hair; great home improvements; tasteful decorations ~ It is nice to enjoy and appreciate what God allows us to have!

Seasons of a Helpmeet said...

Yes, I agree! Too many things to comment about. Your daughter's hair is beautiful just as it is. I guess I don't know about all the tugging as I only have boys. All I need is a pair of clippers and a little trim to the top and they are done.

Your home is tastefully decorated. You are brave to have bare wooden floors. If we left our floors without some sort of area rug, it would be a skating rink at our house. :) Great job with everything! Very beautiful!

inside the barricks said...

I also like that saying, If I find one for my walls do you mind if I get it? :-) I will need it to remind me too!

Sherri said...

Stephanie ~ I don't think I've seen any finished pictures of your house. Do you have any you could send me?

Jessica ~ Boys are So much easier! I can get Josh's and the four boys' hair cut within an hour. Washing and fixing Alia's hair for church on Sunday takes longer than that. So I usually wash and braid it on Saturday night, and then all I have to do is put clips in and curl it Sunday morning. She's getting better at pulling it back on her own the rest of the week so that's a relief. :)

Oh, and as soon as we save up a little more money we're planning on putting area rugs in. It HAS turned into a skating rink. :( Call me naive, but that never even occurred to me. :)

Melisa ~ please, by all means, if you can find one feel free to get it! The one I got was the last on the shelf here, but maybe by the time you get up here again they'll have more. :)

Amanda said...

Sherri, you think it's a rink on a regular day, wait until you buy them new socks. Jeffrey, Jordan and Riky all got new socks the other day and were measuring how far they could slide into the kitchen on just slide factor alone. The boys beat my husband hands down! It was a great time, but I bet it'd be more fun at your house, as we have half carpet, half laminate. I'll have to buy your family new socks one of these days :-)

Stephanie W. said...

Sherri ~ You're funny! I don't know if there IS such a thing in our house as a finished room yet. Well, maybe our bedroom is. I'll have to think about your request. ;)

Arlene said...

Your house looks so warm and cozy; carpet would help to pull it all together even more, I think... but it is definitely expensive!

I've been just planning what I want to do with our living room (since Nathan's away, he gave me permission to get it all finished... gotta do something with the extra pay incentives, right? ;o) LOL) so I've been looking around for ideas and prices. I haven't bought anything yet, though. I hope my room will turn out as nicely as yours has! :o)

Sherri said...

Hi Arlene ~

Thanks for the sweet comment!

I used to love carpet...until we moved here with five kids and white carpet throughout the house. Blotting became my new part-time job. LOL Our main goal was to make the house child-friendly and easy to clean.

We'll probably put area rugs in soon, preferrably cheap ones that can easily be replaced or better yet, washed...but those could prove interesting to find. :) It's been such a relief to have easily cleanable surfaces everywhere. Plus, when I clean these floors, I KNOW they're clean. ;)

Photobucket