Everywhere I turn the Lord is teaching me lessons from the lives of the Israelites. I can't get away from it ~ it's there during my devotions, in emails I receive, and even in the blogs I read.I've found myself typing about crying a lot lately; I'm getting tired of reading about my tendency to bawl. But the Lord's hand on my life is so real, I need it so much, and have longed for Him to be THIS REAL for so long, that I revel in the authenticity.
I can't stop the tears.
I literally hunger and thirst for more. I always thought that was metaphorical, but spiritual hunger and thirst are as real as physical. The need just as genuine. I've realized that all the times I wasn't feeling it before was because of spiritual sickness...as adamantly as I would have denied it.
But there's another aspect to it.
I've realized it's part of approaching my "Canaan." My Promised Land.
If Egypt is a symbol of the world, the wilderness a symbol of sin, and Canaan a symbol of the Promised Land then most Christians are wandering in the wilderness today. They're saved out of the world, but they haven't come to the point of living a victorious Christian life. The Israelites wandered in the desert for forty whole years before they came to the promised land; all the time knowing that it was a land flowing with milk and honey! Full of provisions more sufficient than what Egypt had to offer, and of more variety than what they could ever hope to receive while wandering in the wilderness. I believe that God wanted to give them the land flowing with milk and honey, but they weren't ready for more than manna, day in and day out. Why? Because they hadn't learned the secret to the victorious Christian life: Trust. They didn't seem to realize that God was proving (or testing) them with the lack of water and food in the wilderness. They failed every time by murmuring and complaining. All while the promised land lay just beyond their reach.
God was so faithful to take care of them, too. They failed to see that their clothes and shoes never wore out. They failed to acknowledge the wonder of having a cloud to follow by day and the pillar by night. They so quickly forgot the power God manifested when he parted the Red Sea. The saddest part to me though is that after all that, they choose to be so persistent in their sin that the oldest generation never even got to experience life in Canaan.
But, wait a second, that's me! I have so much. And yet I whine and complain when my heavenly Father in His wisdom says, "That's enough sweets for today." I throw a fit like my two year old does when I tell him that very same thing. He doesn't see the time we spent playing that day, the warm clothes he has to wear, the good food he has to eat. All he sees is that one little piece of candy that he can't have! Just like me, he completely takes the rest for granted.
I couldn't help but ask myself what happened between Egypt and the wilderness though. There was a dramatic change.
I was in awe while reading about the Israelites' lives while they were still in Egypt. Exodus 1: 11a & 13-14 says, "Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And the Egyptians made the children of Israel to serve with rigour: And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour."
I cannot even imagine how hard their lives must have been. But I noticed that the Bible never once says that they complained. It simply says in Exodus 2:23b-24a "...and the children of Israel sighed by reason of the bondage, and they cried, and their cry came up unto God by reason of the bondage. And God heard their groaning, and God remembered...."
Then it goes on to say the most amazing thing of all! Verse 25 says, "And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God had respect unto them!" Now that's sayin' somethin'.
So what happened? In Egypt they were hard workers, they were content, they patiently waited for God's deliverance for many, many years in the midst of great affliction. They relied on God. In the wilderness, it seems they had too much time on their hands. They no longer had taskmasters driving them so it's almost as if they didn't quite know what to do with themselves. They were free. The wilderness was comparatively a mountain top experience as opposed to the valley of oppression in Egypt, and I think they got too comfortable and lazy as a result. So God tried them. It's a classic case of God in His mercy not wanting us to have to go through the valley's of affliction, but knowing that on the mountain top we are more apt to take our eyes off of Him. Why can't we trust God and rely on Him and genuinely NEED Him in the good times so He doesn't have to take us through the fire to drive us to His arms? I believe it's a choice.
I have heard it said that if you find yourself facing the same trial over and over again, God is trying to teach you something. That something is the right response. The surest way out is to learn the lesson and move on with your life with the determination to respond aright with faith, patience, and hope.
The illustration that comes most readily to mind is "some people's" irritation with encountering red lights. Ahem. I'm sure we all know some. :) When these people ride with me, they usually comment about how few red lights I come across. Red lights don't try my patience so there is no need for me to encounter them often. If you don't like red lights, try giving thanks for them in the future. Doing things God's way builds character. Of course, I have my own character building lessons to deal with in abundance, and I ALWAYS think "Lord, teach me this now while it's easy to learn so that I don't have to learn it the hard way in the future!" Leave it to me to be motivated by the easy way out! Ha ha!
Yes, trials and tribulations come to victorious Christians as well as mediocre ones, but the difference lies in their response. Victorious Christians practice the trying of their faith working patience, and patience, experience, and experience, hope. "But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire wanting nothing!" God wants it for each one of us therefore it is attainable!
God respected the children of Israel for their response to their affliction. Don't forfeit your chance to live in your Promised Land. The wonders that await you there will be more than worth any sacrifice you must make! How many Christian will never experience a victorious Christian life? What a tradedy! Look to God and let Him lead you to your Promised Land.

3 comments:
Your post reminded me of something my Pastor preached on a couple months ago. It was basically about "How there would be no Mountains (mountain tops experiences)in our life, if it wasn't for the Valleys(hard times)."
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just learn something once and never battle it again? Living victoriously should be easy, and it really is when we completely yield our every moment to the LORD. But the battle against sin and Satan are so real sometimes. I am thankful that the LORD doesn't give up on us.
Thanks for sharing your zeal and encourgingment to keep fighting the fight and pursuing righteousness.
Thanks, Sherri. I can't put into words all the different thoughts I had as I read this. You might be able to guess some of them, since you know me fairly well. ;) Some of these thoughts are ones that I have had too, but I appreciated the way you typed it all out. It makes me want to sit down with you and have one of those longs talks like we did in my room when you were in college, remember? :) Sigh...
Jessica ~ our pastor preached something similar to that a few months ago! Your comment jogged my memory.
Stephanie ~ I do remember, and I have a pretty good idea of your thoughts about this post. Reading it from your perspective was most enlightening, and encouraging! You are so good about right responses! And...if only you knew how often I've wished we could have those talks again. You are the best sounding-board I know. :) {{{HUGS}}}
Post a Comment