Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Girl Time!

Saturdays have turned out to be the opportune time for the one-on-one time with me that Alia has been so eagerly living for these days. We've gone soul-winning, run errands, shopped till I dropped (she could shop forever), had our hair done, gone to a Lea Sophia party ~ ya know...girl stuff. Stuff that the boys wrinkle their noses at, and one of the few things that would actually motivate them to say they'd rather stay home with Daddy and work.

Perfectamundo. :)




I loved the way Dannette styled her hair after she cut it. It's a fishtail braid with strands taken from the back of the braid and wrapped around the remaining unbraided hair. I still can't replicate it, but I plan to keep trying. Click on the photo for a clearer image.



Kristy and I have wanted to get together to go shopping sometime, but somehow I got the harebrained idea to try some cake decorating instead. I still don't know what I was thinking....I am artistically retarded. Thankfully, Kristy is not. :)

I wanted to try Pioneer Woman's and Bakerella's Cake Pops and Fondant Covered Cupcakes. They make it look so stinkin' easy. There's a knack to working with fondant though,and apparently to getting her Best Ever Chocolate Sheet Cake to poof when it bakes, too.

For those of you who, like me, are ignorant of the wonder that is called fondant, I'll let Pioneer Woman herself explain it:

"Fondant is a thick sugar paste, generally used as a decorative topping for cakes, cupcakes, and other desserts. Fondant can be bought ready-to-use OR made from scratch, and is rolled out, cut, and shaped in much the same way as Play-Dough or clay. Usually the fondant is affixed to the cupcakes or cakes with a simple butter cream frosting."

There ya have it. By the way, I totally love her Butter Cream Frosting. YuUM!



Kristy was able to make the most beautiful roses. She also made forget-me-nots, stems, and leaves. I attempted to do the same, with dismal results. She is such a leader. ;P


This one's my favorite.

My super messy kitchen.

Dillon was sick, poor baby.

Making the Cake Bites. Fun, but messy.

You have to work fast on these things. The candy hardens and the fondant dries out quickly.

If you look really close, you can see the cake pops.

This picture is full of stuff to comment on.

1) First off, you gotta love Kristy's purse. One of these days, I'm gonna get me one just like it, only purple. If they even come in purple. Which they probably don't because she would've gotten that one instead of this one if they did. (They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Or maybe it's just plain being a copycat. ha ha)

2) Do you see the little yellow tin and the vitamin bottle in the forefront? Yeah, those are Rescue Remedy and Kava Kava. What would we need those for you ask?

3) Well, do you further see that little round brown thing by the movies? It's a flat-as-a-pancake cupcake. Only one of the many things that went wrong that day.

4) After the sugary fiasco, Kristy decided to do Alia's hair. That teal aerosol bottle contains the best smelling hairspray~shine mist known to man. With the help of the stress supplements, the scent sent me straight to heaven.

5) This is the best photo of the cake pops I got that day. :(

Alia and her best friend. They have much in common. It's kinda funny that an 8 year old would have a good friend that much older, but when you attend a church full of boys, I guess that happens. :) (My soon-to-be new stairs are on the table. I need to get those done. My kids have been eating off the floor since Saturday.)

The finished product:


5 comments:

Amanda said...

AliaBeth's hair is beautiful. What's in the NetFlix sleeves? Anything girlie? Although in my life that doesn't really matter much. I can get away with girlie, IF there are horses and a kidnapping or something ;)
Have you ever seen the email with the babies made out of that stuff? It's insane, yet elegant!

I am glad that you and Alia have been having so much fun! That is great for you guys. Do you go on dates with your boys, too?
I do, obviously, and they love holding the doors for me, or pulling out my chair, or pushing the cart, or letting me sit in the van while they load the bags into the van. It's great!

Sherri said...

"The Song Of The Lark" and "The Scarlet Letter". Very girlie. I REALLY liked the first one.

I do go on dates with the boys, but rarely. Josh takes them with him individually often, and that works best for us. Call me selfish, but if getting away by myself is an option, that's what I go for every time. :)

Stephanie W. said...

Wow--those cake pops look really neat and yummy! Kristy looks like such a sweet girl. I'm glad you can have some times like this. And, I'll take the same purse, only in country blue, sage second. :) Thanks for inviting us into your messy kitchen for some fun. ;)

Sherri said...

I wish you could have been here for real...how much fun would that be!? :)

Arlene said...

Well, from what I could see, the cake pops turned out really cute! (I'll bet they tasted really great, too -- isn't that the most important thing? ;o) lol)

Is the hair stuff from TIGI? I love their stuff, too. My favorite was their line of products for curls; it always made my waves more defined and not too "crunchy" like some gels do. :o)

Photobucket