Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Grasshopper

The Lord has been constantly reminding me of my own insignificance lately. Ironically enough, He has accomplished this through another seeming contradiction.

People have been genuinely complimenting me left and right. Without fail, even before the person has finished speaking, the Holy Spirit has reminded me that I can in no way take credit for what was stated. Every good thing in my life is the result of the gracious hand of God.

Isaiah 40:6-8 "The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it. Surely the people is grass. The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand forever."

Verse 12 "Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?"

To think, that the Maker of the universe Who measures the water in the hollow of His hand, and sets the boundaries of the heavens with the span of it, Who is able to measure all the dirt on earth, and weighs the mountains in a balance and the hills on scales ~ this great God cares about me and my trials, and holds me in that same strong, capable hand.

Even though in His sight I am but a grasshopper.

Verses 21-22 "Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"

When I was little, probably about four or five, my cousins and I were at my grandparent's house high up in the Colorado mountains in the summertime. We would stay for two weeks, and my grandma would take us to swimming lessons everyday.

One particular afternoon after naps my cousins and I were on the front sidewalk watching the grasshoppers flit across the lawn. Carefully I caught one and held it in my hand, watching it in fascination. Cousin Amanda caught some, too, and along with Cousin Scott began ripping off their heads and laughing as the poor things continued to hop around headless.

Not being able to watch any living creature suffer I adamantly protested and was promptly made fun of. I can hear it like yesterday, only in slow motion, "Sherri, quit being a baby. If you can't be nice and join the fun, just go inside to Grandma."

I was standing back in helpless anger when an elderly neighbor gentleman stepped out his front door. We were a mere four feet from where he stood for a time silently taking in the situation. He walked over to my cousins, his shadow ominously falling over them as he approached. Giving me a wink, he casually hiked up his pants and hunkered down to their level. He looked them directly in the eyes, and gently, even with a smile said, "Children, how would you like it if I did that to you?"

With another furtive wink to me, he stood, and slowly walked back into his house.

It was my earliest lesson on "doing unto others as I would have them do unto me." I'm reminded of it every time I see a grasshopper.

But today, it has become so much more than that.

Faith has been my intent focus. From the depths of my being I want to be able to sit back and trust God...come what may. I don't want to live with a knot in my stomach, fearing what the future holds. The One who holds me in His hand is eternally kind. I am not just another grasshopper to him; He knows my name. He will not get gleeful satisfaction out of ripping me apart piece by piece and watching me die a slow and painful death. No, He is intent upon giving me wings! Enabling me to soar confidently above the trials of my life to lead others directly to the arms of my loving Father.

Fear cannot abide where faith resides. I choose faith.

It is not the easy choice. The saying "Motherhood is not for wimps" crosses my mind on an almost daily basis, but lately it has been replaced with "Faith is not for wimps." It is so true! There are times when I say over and over again, "I will choose faith! I will!" even while tears of fear course down my face.

And time and again God reassures me with His Word, making my fear seem the height of foolishness...

Verses 26-31 "Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth. Why sayest though O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint."

1 comment:

Stephanie W. said...

Nothing can compare to being comforted by the Lord and truly knowing that He knows us individually.

Photobucket