This past Sunday evening we had a missionary special speaker at our church. He ended up being someone I had known way back when in youth group. I love the way God has of "scattering the salt".
In closing the service, he challenged us all to witness to five people this week. That can be a difficulty for a stay at home mom. But God knows, and I asked him to give me five opportunities to witness this week. I promised to do my part when He did.
As usual, what He had in mind was completely different from what I was expecting.
On Tuesday, we took Cheyenne and Travis and all my kids to the park. There was only one other lady there with her two small boys. She actually came up to us and introduced herself. My first thought was, "here is opportunity #1". I like to let God direct the conversation so that all I have to do is wait for the timing to be just right before diving in. I know that constant prayer for God's wisdom and guidance is key. So that's what I did.
She talked. I prayed.
Before I knew it, she was in tears, telling me how her life just wasn't going in the direction she had hoped it would. That she didn't really know what she wanted, but nothing was as it should be.
That was my cue. ;)
It turns out that she is saved, but backslidden, and she and her husband have been half-heartedly looking for a new church. Between my mom and I, I think she left more light-hearted than when she arrived, and she said that she would be in church this Sunday whether her husband chose to come with her or not.
I could hardly wait to see what the rest of the week would hold. :)
On Thursday, I was able to talk for quite awhile to a very sweet friend of mine who is going through some dark times. I prayed for wisdom as I talked because I wanted to be a blessing, and God blessed us both abundantly from the conversation. It was just what I needed. Love ya, Jennifer. {{HUGS}}
Then Thursday night Josh and I had the opportunity to be an encouragement to two other couples. We were again blessed as well. It's wonderful to see not only God's working in the lives of those who have so much potential, but also their willingness to do that which pleases God. God's grace is magnified through them.
It is so exciting to serve the Lord! I've heard people say before that they thought it was boring and tedious. But in my limited experience, it is positively thrilling. Yes, sometimes it is difficult; very much so. The devil is alive and well, and anytime you are dealing with people there will be rough spots. But we serve a Great and Mighty God.
He knows.
He knows the beginning to the end of every matter. He takes care of the details if we allow Him to in His own way and time. Far removed from our thoughts of how things will turn out. It's like living an unfinished, enthralling, and utterly captivating adventure story. Full of unexpected twists and turns, but always exceeding abundantly above all that we could ask or think.

No comments:
Post a Comment