Saturday, August 02, 2008

He Made A Way

I'm always amazed at how busy my weeks with "nothing on the agenda" end up being. I've had a mild headache all week that would occasionally flare up making normally effortless, enjoyable things anything but.

I don't have a high threshold for pain. Unlike my saint of a husband whom you would never know had a headache unless he told you.

I wanna be just like him when I grow up! :)

Friday we had plans to have a young couple from church over for dinner. After dealing with this headache for five whole days, I was exhausted. I kept telling myself that I just needed to lean on the Lord and He would prosper the work of my hands and help me get everything accomplished. He really did, too! But unexpected things kept coming up all day long both Thursday and Friday and around noon yesterday I looked around and realized there was no way I would be ready for company in six hours.

My first reaction was tears of frustration, but I dried those up quickly and thought, "NO! I will not let the devil get me down about this."

So I went to my room and I prayed.

I told the Lord how overwhelmed I was; that I didn't want the devil to win and keep us from delaying this appointment.....again. I told Him how much I needed Him to do the many, many things I have to do with five children and all the commitments that come with serving Him with my whole heart; that I wanted nothing more than to have joy unspeakable and full of glory, not feelings of self-pity and frustration. I told Him that our finances would not allow us to take them out to dinner, but that I knew that He knew all about that, and that our finances are His. I ended by saying that I trusted Him completely with the outcome of this dinner in every detail, and that I would gladly do whatever my hand found to do, trusting Him fully to prosper it.

And He did!

I left shortly thereafter to run my kids to Laurel, and I checked the mail on my way out. Right on top was an envelope that said, "Insurance settlement enclosed." I opened it to find a $32 check! More than enough to pay for taking this couple out to dinner instead of having them over!

Right after that the song "He Made A Way" came on from the Hyles-Anderson college cd I had playing! Tears of thankfulness and joy flooded my eyes and I literally lifted my hands in praise to God. My heart went from being overwhelmed with care, to overwhelmed by God's goodness, mercy and love in a matter of moments after getting up off my knees in prayer!

God is good like that. :D

It's things like this that whet my appetite for more. I want to see more of God's power not only in the big things, but in the "little nothings" of life. I greatly anticipate it. I look for it. I hunger and thirst for it. And then He brought to mind the verse that said, "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart". I can't seem to escape "heart" verses these days. :)

John 8:32 &36 "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.""

3 comments:

inside the barricks said...

That is awesome Sherri! I too am always over-whelmed with how the Lord provides for things that you think are not possible. Sorry to hear about your headache they are not fun.

Amanda said...

How wonderful. I hope that you had a great time?! You didn't really say, but I assume that you did. Hope that everything is well with you. Miss You~

Stephanie said...

That's awesome how the Lord worked all that out for you! The Lord often reminds me that when I am weak, He is strong. The times we feel the weakest are opportunities for Him to show His power... when we have none of our own, it is ALL Him! Those are usually the most rewarding times in His service, ya know? Hope you are feeling better now! {{hugs!}} :o)

Photobucket