Yesterday morning after the men's prayer breakfast Josh came home and immediately went downstairs to read his Bible and pray. When he came upstairs several hours later, I asked him what was up. He said that he didn't really know. He just had a strange feeling that he needed to prepare something for today in case he was asked to teach or preach. He had no indication whatsoever that it would happen, just a prompting from the Holy Spirit to be ready.
This morning at 6:45 Josh and I were woken up by a man's voice on our answering machine.
It was Pastor......
calling to ask Josh to take his Sunday School class and take his place and preach for the morning service.
He was shocked to say the least. The late notice was a blessing in disguise though. If he had known earlier he would have just been miserable and nervous with anticipation. This way, he barely had time to get a few thoughts together and get up there and say what was on his heart.
We were scheduled to sing a duet, he had to lead the service and do all the announcements and everything, and I had to teach the young girls Sunday School class and play the organ, so we were both just running to the next thing all morning. :) Eventually Josh asked me if I could just sing a solo instead so that he had one less thing to think about.
Before we left the house the kids were just chaos itself. Isaac and Nathan had seemingly grown out of every stitch of clothing they had since last Sunday. (Not really, but they had a terrible time finding church clothes that matched, weren't for winter, or that even remotely fit.) In the end we put Nathan's clothes on Isaac and vice versa, and we were set. :) In between services Isaac pooped his pants, and made a huge mess for the nursery workers to clean. The Devil was working overtime as he usually does when you have anything extra that you are attempting to do for God.
Pastor is very sick. He has a pain in his side that they can't find a reason for, and it's just gotten progressively worse after the last week or so. If you think about it, please remember him in prayer. Our pastor is sold out for God and the devil wants nothing more than to hinder his service. We've already seen 190 people saved so far this year due in part to Pastor's amazing leadership abilities. We sure did miss him this morning. He is an awesome preacher! Talk about Holy Spirit power. He has it, that's for sure. This coming week is VBS and we will really miss him if he isn't there. There's always something going on it seems, but if nothing else he deserves the break, such as it is. :/ My prayer is that he'll get comfortable enough to at least get a good rest.

2 comments:
Josh did an excellent job. HE is a wonderful preacher. Prep time or no, I love to hear him preach. I thought that I liked his Sunday School lessons best, but today's sermon was awesome. By far the best message that I have heard on a Father's Day. By Far!
I love Pastor and our church (and I'm not going anywhere), but I WAS THINKING on my way home that if Josh ever did become a pastor, I hope that it is not within reasonable distance for us to attend often, or I would have a hard time not wanting to change churches ;) He is really a great preacher. Really.
BTW, what are you, the fastest typer in the West? I was getting on here to post about what I got out of Josh's message and how it lines up with what I was thinking about yesterday and ~~ta~da~~ here I am instead using my few typing skills commenting on yours
Ba Humbug
JK
Love Ya!
I reiterate, Josh is an awesome preacher!
Post a Comment