This post by Fiddledeedee reminded me of a post I've been meaning to write. It's something that I will always remember, but I felt compelled to blog it.
I was on my way home from my parent's house one evening during rush hour. Jordan had stayed at their house, and Alia, at one year old, was buckled snugly into her car seat in the back of our little blue Ford Escort. It was a stick shift, and got great mileage, but didn't have a lot of get-up-and-go.
As we were coming up to the bend in the road near the Metra to head toward the Heights, a big truck three cars ahead of us slammed on it's breaks. It caused a chain reaction, of course, and everybody ended up having to slam on their brakes, but the reaction time got increasingly less the farther back you were.
There was a small SUV in front of me, and a larger one coming up fast behind me. I clearly saw in my rear view mirror that the person behind me was not paying attention. I had no time to do more than close my eyes, pray "Oh, Lord, please protect us", and brace for the impact.
It never came.
And when I opened my eyes, instead of being in the far right turning lane, I was in the one to the left of it, and the large SUV that had been behind me was right up against the bumper of the SUV that had been in front of me.
I was shaking so badly that it took several tries to get the car in gear to start moving again. I headed straight up to the shop where Josh worked. As soon as I saw him I gave him a great big hug and started crying. He was understandably surprised, and basically told me I have a wild imagination. I probably would have been skeptical, too, if it hadn't happened to me. But, all I could think about was what could have happened, and how thankful I was that it didn't! It was such a close call, and the only explanation for what happened was that God was there.
Even now, I feel weak and shaky, just remembering. But it is such a comfort to know that God is with me. Each and every day that goes by He is here protecting, and guiding me, even when I don't feel His presence. I acknowledge the fact that it is only by His mercy and grace that my husband comes home safely to me at the end of every day, and that there are times when I don't even know that He has kept me and my family from harm because He hears and answers prayer.
There is a spiritual battle going on that we cannot see. It is one of the many reasons that we need to keep our accounts with God current. "In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths". I also think of Psalm 91, especially verse 11. I encourage you to look it up and read it.
Psalm 105:1 & 2 says, "O Give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works."
Do any of you have any amazing stories to share of how God has worked supernaturally? I'd love to hear them. I believe in miracles! :)

2 comments:
There was this time around Jeffrey's first birthday when he swan dove/belly flopped off of a chair. There is no way that it could have turned out well. There was a coffee table he would have hit with his head, not to mention knocking the wind out of him if he tucked and missed the table. Riky and I were both out of reach, but miraculously Jeffrey kindof... floated (for lack of a better word)to the floor. We looked at each other when he was safe and Riky asked me if I saw that. We were speachless for a moment and it was as if time stood still. Until he tried to climb back up on the chair, then we both sprung into action. It was awe inspiring.
Sounds interesting.....
BTW how do you get those tags on your blog, the "I love my little sister and please comment" Ones....
Just was wondering....
Jess
Post a Comment