Dillon has this annoying habit of dressing ummm.....unseasonably. It has been unusually hot here (the forecast is 105 today!), and he came downstairs Saturday dressed in a long-sleeved sweater. I said "Dillon, it's HOT outside! Why are you wearing long sleeves again?"
He looked down at his arms for a few seconds and said, "HUH. I didn't know I had long sleeves on today!" He shrugged and left the room to change, leaving me chuckling and just shaking my head.
He's the opposite of AliaBeth. She's always overstated and he's usually understated.
Except for today......
I'm not sure what Nathan was doing, but I overheard Dillon say, "No, No, Nathan. Don't do it son!" I thought I was going to DIE laughing. Just had to share. :D
P.S. To my knowledge, neither Josh nor I have ever used that phrase. He MUST have had a previous life to come up with some of these things. LOL

5 comments:
My kids have a tendency to dress too warm some days too. I tell Cheyenne, "You make me HOT in those clothes!"
Dillon is just too cute. Always has been!!
Luv 'im
Hi Sherri! I'm Josh's Cousin Carrie. I don't know if you remember me, but we met at Connie's several years ago. At the time you had baby Jordan and I had baby Cameron. Anyway, Connie came to the family reunion campout in Iowa this last weekend. We were talking homeschool and your name came up. We have 4 children. Paul 9 1/2, Cameron 8, Aaron 5, and Rebecca 1. I am planning to homeschool the three boys this school year. I haven't decided on a curriculum yet. Wondered if you had come across anything interesting. Connie said that you didn't like Abeka. I'm thinking of doing some unit studies if I can find a subject that the boys will be really into learning.
Hi Carrie!
I do remember you! I have no way of getting in touch with you other than this so I hope you read my comments! :)
I'm not really familiar with "unit studies"?? I'm not planning on using a particular curriculum this year. I think A Beka is probably a homeschooler's worst enemy if you don't want classroom situation homeschooling. After last year, I am so anti-classroom situation that it scares me sometimes! LOL
I'm keeping things especially simple this year ~ from my standpoint as the teacher.
For math I LOVE Math-U-See!
For other subjects this is my plan:
Jordan~
Easy Grammar from Timberdoodle
Early American History by Beautiful Feet
For handwriting and spelling and Bible they will be copying their memorization Bible verses.
I also may do copy and dictation using Robert Lewis Stevenson poetry.
For reading I plan to go to the library and get the most interesting books I can find which so far are The Boxcar Children by (somebody) Campbell, Hank the Cowdog by John R. Erikson, Little Britches series (true stories) by Ralph Moody, the Hardy Boys series, and Little House on the Prairie. He also really enjoys the Mandie mystery books. The goal is to instill a love of reading.
For science I plan to get an ant farm, caterpillars, and tadpoles, and occasionally read aloud from some intersting children's encyclopedia's that we have.
Nature Readers from Christian Liberty Press are excellent for both reading and science.
For Alia:
Alpha Phonics w/ Explode the Code workbook (you can get this from the Love To Learn website)
Handwriting Without Tears (I think from Timberdoodle)
And I'm still looking into books for her to read that she will love.
She will be listening while we do Jordan's history, and she will participate in the science "projects". :)
For Bible we are going to read through the Bible by Bible story. My pastor has a list that we can follow.
By God's grace I am going to relax and have fun with it this year. I am not going to put pressure on myself to get stuff done. It will get done, one baby step at a time.
I plan to have them work on math and phonics in the morning for an hour and half. That will include their writing subjects.
In the afternoon while the little ones are napping we will be busy reading. I will read the History and Bible lessons aloud, and they will spend the rest of the time reading in their library books.
You have to do what works best for you, but the rigid lesson plans that A Beka requires is not for me.
I enjoy having the freedom to be flexible, and scheduling homeschooling around life. I want homeschooling to be a way of life and not just a bunch of busy work.
I hope this helps. Most of this info I got from my friend Teresa. She's so inspiring and encouraging. She also recommended that I read The Relaxed Homeschooler by Mary Hood.
If you want you can email me at bothwellsj@msn.com. Thanks for commenting!
That is so cute. How old is Dillon? It reminds me of something Savannah would / has said. :)
I enjoyed reading your homeschool comment. We'll have to talk on the phone about this more in-depth. I haven't ordered anything yet, but have to get on the ball soon.
~Rebecca
Sherri, What grade level are you doing for AliaBeth and Jordan. I may have some readers that they would enjoy. I also think that they should read things that they love. Janet Oke has a children's series. You can get them at the library, or my mom has the whole thing. They are wonderful. About second or third grade reading, I think. Anyway... call me and we will see what we can do.
Post a Comment