Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday



This is being posted a day late. It's been a crazy week.

Rocks In My Dryer hosts "Works For Me Wednesdays. Go to her blog to find some great tips.

I have been discovering the many uses of hydrogen peroxide lately, and the thing I enjoy the most and wish someone had told me a long time ago is that it is a great bleach alternative. I had been hearing about how bad regular bleach is not only for your health, but also for septic systems. So I decided to go to the health food store and see what I could find. I was in a hurry, but there was a small bottle of organic bleach alternative for $3.50 so I grabbed it without reading the label. As I was reaching for it when I got home, I realized there was a leak in the bottle, and it got all over one of my favorite jean skirts. I was sure it was ruined. It smelled familiar to me, but I couldn't place what it was. THEN I read the ingredient label. Get this.....it said, "We disclose all of our ingredients. Hydrogen Peroxide and water." I had just paid $3.50 for two things I could get individually and mix myself for a fraction of the price I had just paid! I was NOT a happy camper. I was somewhat skeptical that it would work. After all, if it was that great why would anyone insist on using a chemical to keep their whites white instead? I was thrilled with the results! Our whites glow now. Not only does it work as well as bleach, I think it works better. I have a front loading washer so I add 1/4 cup of peroxide for small loads, 1/2 cup for medium loads, and 3/4 cup for large loads, and my washing machine adds the water when the bleach cycle comes on. In addition to that, it's 100% color safe. :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Sherri,
I am on here @
pureinhiseyes.blogspot.com
~Jessica

Sherri said...

I have to say that I recently noticed that my whites are not as white as they used to be. I am very disappointed in this and will probably use OxyClean from now on for laundry, but it does work well for disinfecting things. Grrr. Don't you just love it when you recommend something and then find out you're wrong about it. Oh well,it keeps me humble. :)

Photobucket