G.O.O. stands for Garlic Oil Ointment. It is an amazing treatment for colds, and most viral and bacterial infections. What I especially like about it is how simple it is to make with readily available ingredients. (in other words, I don't have to go to the health food store. YIPPEE!)
Mix 1 Tbs. crushed garlic, 1 Tbs. olive oil, and 1 Tbs. coconut oil and refrigerate for about two hours, and you have an antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral paste. Organic ingredients are ideal, but it works just as well with non-organic. It is stinky, but makes a remarkable difference in the length of the sickness and severity of the symptoms. It is very easy to increase the recipe to meet your needs and will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. I put it on my babies chests and the bottoms of their feet and then put thick, warm socks on them when they have a cold.
Our skin is the largest organ of our body, and it absorbs anything within thirty seconds of contact. (If you rub cinnamon essential oil on the bottom of your feet, within one minute you will taste it on your tongue! Same with the garlic oil.) It absorbs into your bloodstream, and immediately begins to fight off infection from the inside out! Another benefit of this is that it bypasses your gut altogether so you don't have the terrible side effects of the antibacterial properties killing off the good bacteria we so desperately need to keep our immune systems working efficiently. If you decide to try it, let me know how it works for you!
Note: Coconut oil is also known to prevent, and minimize the appearance of stretch marks. It is super for your skin, and the best oil to use in cooking. I love the difference it makes in the flavor of the food!

10 comments:
THANK YOU for posting this! I have been looking into natural remedies more and more and this post was so interesting. We've been hit with the worst colds ever this winter and we are still struggling.
So I can buy coconut oil at the grocer?
~Rebecca
P.S. I noticed that you deleted your last two posts. Probably wise.
Hi Rebecca,
I get my coconut oil at Wal-Mart. It's more expensive than the other oils, but it's healthy so..... I actually have a website where I can get a gallon of organic coconut oil for only $26.00. That's cheaper than a gallon of non-organic at Wal-Mart. I'll have to look for the URL though. I can't seem to find it right now.
Other things that I do for colds are putting eucalyptus oil in humidifiers or in boiling water and having the kids inhale the steam; Vicks on the chest and feet; a wet scarf or towel warmed in the dryer or oven with a few drops of eucalyptus oil placed on the neck for sore throats; probiotics administered daily to replace the lost good bacteria from antibiotics (both chemical and natural antibiotics kill off good bacteria with the bad if ingested); N-Acetyl Cysteine supplement which is an amino acid that supports the immune system, in addition to quality vitamin and mineral supplements; and grape juice is loaded with vitamin C and has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. The vitamin C stimulates kidney function to help flush out your system, so make sure that you're getting plenty of water along with it. I also make homemade chicken broth and have the kids drink it throughout the day. Studies have shown that it really does have healing properties. I might post that article soon.
Thanks for your comments and look for my other posts to reappear soon. ;)
Thanks for the info. Sherri, Katlyn has had a cold
(or something)for a week. I was told to put garlic oil in the kid's ears when they get a cold to avoid ear infections. Aly had an ear infection for a month and the garlic oil was the only thing that got rid of it. So thanks for more home remedies to try.
Melisa
Hey Melisa,
Mulein oil is also soothing and helps with the pain of ear infections. I believe it is anti-inflammatory so I always mix a few drops in with the garlic oil and then heat gently before placing in the ears. My kids get instant relief from earaches, and it speeds ear infection recovery. My problem is consistency in using it. They say to put the oil in their ears three times a day until symptoms improve and Jordan had an ear infection with occasional ear ache for three months. I know you're thinking that it must not help, but I think the problem was that I would think that he was doing better so I would stop doing the drops. I wouldn't start again until he complained, and by then it was like starting all over again.
I also use what's called Wonder Balm that a friend from my church makes. It is incredible stuff. I put that around Jordan's ears (again all day long) and it was amazing how much fluid drained. He would wake up and his ears would be all crusty. It's the only thing that helps his ears to drain. It also makes bruises disappear in less than 24 hours, and heals cuts and rashes within hours of application. I just have to remember to use it. :) I can get some for you if you'd like.
Do you think Wonder Balm would help excema?
~Rebecca
Rebecca,
I wouldn't be surprised if the Wonder Balm did help exzema. It has a very strong odor, and can cause a slight burning sensation, but we haven't had any trouble with it when applying it to cuts and bug bites. She also makes something called Body Butter that is the best moisturizer I've ever used. It makes my skin so soft when I put it on before bed. I even use it on my face, and I'm very sensitive to most things. Other things to keep in mind with exzema, which you probaby already know are:
Moisturize frequently
Avoid sudden changes in temperature or humidity
Avoid sweating or overheating
Reduce stress
Avoid scratchy materials, such as wool
Avoid harsh soaps, detergents and solvents
Avoid environmental factors that trigger allergies (for example, pollen, mold, dust mites, and animal dander)
Be aware of any foods that may cause an outbreak and avoid those foods
I've also read that aloe vera can be helpful. Try heating an actual aloe vera leaf and applying it directly to the affected area as the Yucatecs do.
I hope this information is helpful. My uncle has exzema and it can be miserable.
For some reason I don't have your phone number written down. Duh! I'd like to call you some time this week. Probably towards the end of the week. Can you email me with your number and the best time to reach you? :)
~Rebecca
Castor Oil is also supposed to be good for stretch marks. Haven't tried it, since I'm pg and don't want to actually go into labor at 23 weeks, but you can believe that I will try it ASAP!! I call them my battle scars, and I would like to get rid of the evidence!
Oh and B6 is supposed to help exzema too. If you can find it in the liquid form that's best.
An omega oil supplement would probably help the exzema too. When I take it my skin is softer and clear, my hair is silky and shiny and my nails grow longer and are stronger. Most children are deficient in omega fatty acids. Natural sources are salt water fish and ground flax seeds. Cod liver oil is excellent for skin conditions as well as joint health. Omega's and cod liver oil boost brain function, support mood, memory and neurological function. Nordic naturals is a great brand. Make sure it's pharmaceutical grade and moleculary distilled, and it's also a good idea to look for a "third party tested" seal for purity and freshness. It should say on the bottle that it is free from heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs.
Post a Comment