The kids have been doing excellent with their new chore charts and reward system. I downloaded free chore charts last week and told the kids that whenever they have all the slots filled in they will get to go to the park, have a picnic, and get ice cream afterward. Since I can't very well leave anyone that doesn't cooperate behind, that person will just miss out on the ice cream while the rest of us indulge.
I wasn't in the mood to go to the park today, but I have to hold up my end of the bargain, and I'm sure we'll be too busy this weekend working in the garden and yard to take time out for the park. I quickly made some sandwiches and headed out the door, not taking particular care with my appearance since I didn't anticipate seeing anyone I knew there. Why do I do that to myself? I ought to know by now that whenever I do that I see someone I know. Every. Time. (It should be noted here that I rarely take my kids to the park. I reserve that pleasure for the grandparents. Needless to say, my kids were speechless with excitement to go.) We went to a very colorful park near the downtown area. As we approached I saw that we were pretty much the only people there. That was a relief. It makes me nervous to have a lot of kids and people milling around because I lose sight of my kids easier. Just as we got to a picnic table, I looked up and saw two ladies that I had met at a park clear across town over a month ago where Josh had taken us on some nature hikes. I used to go to church with one of the ladies. I think she is intimidated by me, or just doesn't like me or something. She gets very nervous around me for some reason. She basically said hello, and then goodbye. The other lady stayed and visited for awhile though and it was so nice. She goes to an Assembly of God church, and we got to talk about why the Lord allows miscarriages and other difficult things to happen in our lives. After about 45 minutes of conversation she left and another family with lots of kids and a beautiful German Shepherd arrived. I approached the lady, and commented on her dog, and we ended up talking for two and half hours! Come to find out she is the sister of ANOTHER lady that I used to go to church with who was visiting from Iowa. She homeschools and does not vaccinate her kids, and we have an unbelievable amount of other things in common as well. She did not seem to believe in eternal security so we had a nice discussion about that, and I hope I at least gave her something to think about. I'm so glad I went today!
Last night the ladies Bible study was about the Shunamite woman and what made her great in God's eyes. We were challenged to pray and ask the Lord to bring people into our lives that we could minister to. I have prayed often in the past that the Lord would bring people to me since it's difficult for me to get out, and today he did that once again.
While I was talking to this lady, I "got" to witness a drive by shooting!!! I was totally in denial about what I had seen and figured a car must have backfired, but both vehicles involved were new cars, and once the police arrived, I knew it was true. The back tire of the targeted van was blown out as evidence. I praise the Lord for safety today and His blessings of fellowship. Life is never boring or dull around here, that's for sure!

No comments:
Post a Comment