As the very middle child, it always surprises me how well-behaved Dillon is....most of the time. I really do forget that he's here unless he's making Nathan whine about something which is not good, I know. He is very shy so when people stop by, he usually runs and hides in his "place" which is a little cubby hole between the couch and a cabinet in our family room. A couple of weeks ago my mom was here and she was picking up some toys Dillon had taken with him to pass the time when someone stopped by to visit. She happened to see a candy wrapper sticking out from behind the couch. When she went to pick it up she looked more closely and ended up pulling out a fistful of candy wrappers that he had stashed back there.
My kids don't usually get to eat candy except on very special occasions; however, each and every Sunday in Jr. Church all three of them get gobs and gobs of it to bring home. So I put it in baggies on top of the refrigerator as rewards for exceptionally good behavior, and those rare special occasions. I have no idea where he gets the candy that he's been eating on the sly, but the evidence was pretty plain. My only guess is that he doesn't hand over all that he receives from Jr. Church and stashes the choicest pieces in another secret hiding place and brings what is left to us.
When Jordan was unpacking from the trip to Iowa yesterday, he brought me a big bag of M&M's that Josh had bought for me. It was sitting on my desk all morning and I was absent-mindedly eating them. When I came back to my desk in the afternoon, I didn't even miss them. It wasn't until I was just starting to wake up this morning that I remembered them and thought "Hey! Where did my M&M's go??" So I got up right away and asked Dillon what he'd done with them. He looked at me innocently with those big brown eyes of his and said, "But Mommy, I just put them where they go in the cupboard." And sure enough, that's where they were, and if he had had any in the process of putting them away, they were few enough in number that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
How very thoughtful of him to put them away for me; he really was doing me a favor....in more ways than one. My only question is, of all the things that needed to be put away on my desk, why is it, exactly, that he chose the M&M's and left everything else where it was?
That's kids for ya.

1 comment:
what a cutie pie!! I'll take him when you're done with him. He's just so squishable!!! And there's lots and lots of places to hide in MY house, but unfortunately VERY little candy!!
Post a Comment