Often I have come across verses in my devotions referring to God's people delighting in things that God Himself does not delight in. That got me to thinking, "What exactly does God delight in?" Jeremiah 9:24 answered that question!"But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindess, judgment, and righteousness in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD."
One of the things that I've heard lately that Christians "delight" in is so-called "worship". While that may seem good on the surface, for reasons I couldn't put my finger on, it really bothered me. So many blogs that I read are written by Christians who focus on "worship". But their definition of worship somehow just doesn't ring true. Mostly the term seems to refer to music. Decidedly questionable music at that. I can't count the many "worship team" members that blog. :) For this reason though, the word "worship" stands out to me when I read my Bible.
We all make choices in worship; some choose not to worship at all, but those of us who do often choose not to do it God's way. John 4:24 says "God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."
In order to worship God His way He must come first in our lives. It's the very first commandment! We violate what God says when we put anything before or allow to replace our time with the LORD. Idols are readily recognized when we ask ourselves what our time, energy, and money go to. God wants number one place; He needs to be supreme in our value system, and on the throne of our lives. John 4:23 says He "seeks such to worship Him!" We have to place a higher value and priority on Him and Him alone above everything and everyone else in our lives.
Our spirit reveals our motives. Our motives for worship must be pure; sincerely worshipping God from our hearts. But it is not enough just to be sincere, we must be truthful as well. The truth is pure. Sin, whether of omission or commission, must be confessed and forsaken. We must see ourselves as we truly are in the sight of a Holy God, while remembering that when He sees us we're covered by the Blood.
I don't know about you, but it seems to me that christian contemporary music cannot have any place in true worship. It's clearly more sensual than spiritual so it blows the whole definition of worship out of the water right off the bat. In addition to that though, I have yet to observe anyone who listens to or participates in CCM that truly lives a separated life. There is nothing in their life aside from maybe being able to talk spiritually that lends itself to being different from the rest of the world in any respect. The average Christian looks, acts, and participates in sin just like the world.
Christians as a whole today are very worldly. We don't hunger and thirst after righteousness anymore. We're too busy being lulled into apathy; benumbed by the ever-present lure of computer and television screens. The devil is so cunning, isn't he?
God's people used to have power, and were used more by God. But today we are incredibly selfish and dull of hearing. Christians used to get excited about sharing the gospel and serving God, and as a result saloons and other places of ill-repute were shutting down more than they were cropping up. Now, we are inundated with filth everywhere we turn. I have four sons whom I have had to incessantly train to guard their eyes since they were infants. I'm convinced it's because Christians are not willing to give up their sin. We are too comfortable. We are exactly where the devil wants us. He knows he can't have our souls, so he goes for our service.....and more often than not we more than gladly hand it over to him.
We need God. We need God's power.
The average Christian is the worst of the best and the best of the worst. God wants to show off and show His power, but where are the usable vessels? We need to pray and weep and plead with God for His power to use us so that we can make a lasting difference. There is such a tremendous need! I have to ask myself often, "Do you really want God to work? Do you believe He can do today what He did in D. L. Moody's day?" God hasn't changed!
God's Word is full of promises! Our Pastor often refers to the "if and then clause". If we do what God says His way, then He will do as He promises. If there is one thing in life we can fully depend upon it is God's Word.
But it takes faith.
Faith focuses on God regardless of life's circumstances at any given moment. He has NEVER failed. He is always true to His Word, but He doesn't ask you to believe AFTER the miracle! Without faith, it is possible to go through your whole life never having seen God's promises performed. Pastor always says that God is asking, "Do you want me to show you a miracle? Then believe I can perform you a miracle. Only believe!"
"Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God" so it is vital that we are in our Bibles and faithful to church. We can't let the devil succeed in throwing things across our path to keep us from it. This not only grows our faith, but also shows God that we love Him and that we believe.
Obey His commandments and then claim His promises. Say to Him, out loud if you can, "You are my God! I'm gonna trust you!" He will show you great and mighty things that thou knowest not because He is a great and mighty God! Be fully persuaded that He can do what He says. God tells us so often to pray, so He must want to answer. He wants to bless, not judge us. A blessing is seeing God's promises fulfilled.
Have you noticed that there is always a delay between us asking for something and receiving it? The waiting time is when God is making us more like Jesus!
Hebrews 6:11-12 says, "And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises."
If we are sluggards about claiming the promises of God we have no right to be surprised when God doesn't come through. Search the scriptures as for hidden treasures. Know God's Word; know His promises; know how God performs His promises. Grace is the power of God at work in the life of an obedient Christian. God's power is available to us in direct proportion to our obedience to God.
"The world has yet to see the wonders God can do through one man or woman totally yielded to God." ~ (Does anyone remember who said this? Amanda? I can't seem to find it.)
Knowing God, really understanding who He is and what He can do, is part and parcel to claiming His promises. You can't have one without the other.
"But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindess, judgment, and righteousness in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD."
"Delight thyself also in the LORD and He shall give thee the desire of thine heart."

6 comments:
D.L. Moody was the one who said that. :)
Thank you! That's what I thought, but I couldn't find it for sure in the searches I did. :)
Yes, it is so easy to be lulled to apathy in this materialistic world! It's a battle that we have to commit to the Lord to win.
Preach it, Sister! :) I look forward more each day to the return of our Precious Lord Jesus. It is a sad day that we live in. Most "Christians" are so worldly you wonder why they even bother to associate themselves with Christ. You're right. We need to constantly seek righteousness and allow God's word to be our guide.
I completely agree! It's so hard to find others who have similar convictions about music -- even many IFB Christians today have no problem with listening to CCM/secular music. They say it's the "message" or the lyrics that are important. To an extent, yes what it says is important, but I have to wonder as I watch others sway and bob their head to a so-called Christian song... is it really honoring God? Or the flesh? Isn't that the most important aspect to consider?
I have really enjoyed your writings, I am new to this blogging thing, but I have been blessed by your writings.
Thank you for taking time to pen your heart.
God Bless.
Mrs. E.
Post a Comment