Sunday, March 23, 2008

Finally, Some Color! :)



Last weekend as we were cleaning our house, the fact that the walls are unwashable motivated us to repaint. Right now we have flat white on the walls with high-gloss ecrue trim in the main living areas.

Monday night we went shopping for paint with all of the kids. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too good either. Their behavior was excellent, but all the trips across Lowe's to take different kids potty about drove me nuts. Plus, it was a really last minute decision so we didn't eat until after we got home around 9 that night. So with that in mind, they did really well.

We finally found two colors that I liked and that matched nicely with the curtains down in my room. The one was called carmelized onion, but it was a really dark brown. The other was a softer, lighter shade of brown. The guy that helped us said that we should paint squares of poster board and tape them up before we actually got started to make sure we liked the colors.

Excellent idea! I'm so glad we did that! The dark brown was way too dark. I kept going down there at different times of the day since the lighting changes so much thinking that I would like it in a different light. The more I went down there, the less I liked it.

As we were going through the house, we kept seeing things that needed to be done before we painted. You all know Josh...Mr. Perfectionism. :) So we both finally just dropped the idea. All I wanted was a little bit of color. Not a top to bottom remodeling project.

Thursday night we were still tentatively planning on painting this weekend since Josh had an extra day off so I took the kids to a Velveteen Rabbit play, and then immediately to my mom and dad's house afterward. When Josh got home he said that he no longer had the slightest desire to paint, so we sat around for awhile trying to figure out what we were going to do with all of our newly discovered free time. :)

We need some shrubs to plant next to the driveway that will replace the rock garden we have now, so we went to some green houses. That's where we were inspired to add color with plants instead of paint! So much easier. And healthy, too. It's the perfect finishing touch for detoxifying our house.





We also decided to refinish our kitchen table instead of buying more plastic to put on top of it. It looks better than new! I'm so excited. And it wasn't difficult at all. I'm actually looking forward to refinishing all of our cabinet doors now.







I didn't want the $40 worth of paint that we bought to go to waste so I decided to mix both colors together and redo the hallway downstairs which was one of our main areas of concern.



I LOVE IT!
I wouldn't mind doing all of the house in that color. Someday. Eventually. If I can figure out exactly what color it is. LOL

4 comments:

Amy Martin said...

Very nice job. The plants look great and the table is absolutely wonderful!! Great job!!

Amanda said...

The table is fabulous! Are those plants real? Do you have a green thumb? I kill every thing that I touch except my kids, Riky, and so far, my dogs. So far. I hope that the plants thrive for you. They definately add some pizzaz to the rooms.

I do like the color, although I liked the lighter color that you had, too. The brown was a little dark... that is coming from the woman with the bright pink bedroom, (on purpose!) When I get the rest of the house done in neutrals, I wonder if I will still like the pink...or not.

Remember the names of the two colors that you mixed and the computer at Lowes will figure it out for you. Then go somewhere else and use Kilz :)

Anonymous said...

Everything looks beautiful. I also am not good with plants. I managed to keep a plant a live for a year and a half (cause someone told me I couldn't) once I hit the mark however, I threw it away. I loive plants outside and will keep them alive but can't in my house. Hope that you can cause it looks great.

Rebecca said...

I love it! Looks fabulous! You did a wonderful job on the table. Your house is so beautiful! :o)

Photobucket