Yesterday started off as any other day. I woke up energized and really looking forward to the Ladies Bible Study that night since it meant getting away for awhile. Knowing I have a prospect of some time "off" always motivates me to get stuff done.
While I was steadily conquering my housework Amanda called. I'm always surprised at how much I accomplish while I'm talking to her. I work mindlessly. (How much thought does wiping stuff down, folding laundry, and cleaning bathrooms require after 15 years of experience anyway?)
I was half listening and half working when my ears perk up to, "and you're very opinionated so I just thought, that's just Sherri's opinion, it's not gospel truth or anything." She goes on to interject, "you know you're opinionated, right? I'm not like telling you something that you don't already know, am I?"
After a short pause to gather my wits about me after hearing this unexpectedly blunt comment, I manage to interject, "No, I've been informed of that before" as she rapidly proceeds with what she was saying. But I'm thinking, "Crud, and here I was thinking I was doing so much better about keeping my opinion to myself." Sure I get worked up about stuff sometimes, but I have no presumptions that my opinion means beans to anybody else. I am just saying what I think because I'm comfortable. Most of the time, I'm very careful to keep my opinion to myself unless asked for it.
The last time I was informed of being "opinionated" was at college. My response then was "I'm no more opinionated than you are, you just disagree with me. That's perfectly fine with me." I'm sure others think I'm opinionated and are just too polite to say so, but Amanda and I are past the point of "politeness" in our friendship. She says it like it is. Always has really. And I think one of the reasons we get along so well is because I can take it. Usually. :/ (chuckle)
After I picked myself back up from that healthy blow to my ego, I made a call to invite a young woman, that has been visiting our church, to the ladies Bible study. She was working so her husband answered. After the preliminary polite dialogue the conversation went something like this:
Me: "Everyone asks me how I know you, and they're surprised when I tell them that we went to school together."
Steven: "Ummmmm, we did?"
Me: "Yes, at least I think so. Didn't you go to YVCS?"
Him: "Well, yeah I did, but that wasn't until waaayyyy after you went there."
Me: after a long pause "How old do you think I am?!"
Him: "Well, I'm only 21."
Long pause.
Me: exercising much restraint by not asking again how old he thinks I am, "I only went to YVCS until like 10th grade and you were in elementary school at that time."
Him: "Most of the time I went to BCS, I actually graduated from there, so that's mostly what I remember."
Me: wanting nothing more than to wrap this up quick "Well, just have Amber call me later, and if she wants to go I'd be happy to pick her up since your house is right on my way. I know Mrs. Benton would be so glad to see her there. We all would! Have a great day."
Healthy blow #1 ~ I'm opinionated.
Healthy blow #2 ~ I'm old.
Later in the evening Amanda came to my house so she could ride with me. We picked up some coffee from a kiosk, and headed to the Bible study. Everybody was talking and having a great time. My mom was talking about my sister and her husband's large family with Ja'net whose husband has a large extended family, too. After the Bible study we're getting a head start on VBS stuff....tracing and outlining, and painting pictures when I suddenly hear Ja'net shout, "Sherri! Sherri, guess what?!?! We're sisters-in-law!!!" I was absorbed in tracing lines with a permanent marker, concentrating on not letting my hand shake uncontrollably as it tended to as a result of the caffeine consumption that I am SO not used to. Somewhat bleary eyed, I looked up.
I was sure she was joking.
She had to be joking, right?
I smiled and said, "We are? How do you figure?"
She said, "Your sister's husband's brother's wife is Kenny's brother's wife's twin sister! That makes us sisters-in-law three times removed!"
Everything got quiet as we all digested this new piece of information.
Me: "Huh. That's interesting. I'm gonna have to roll that around in my brain a few more times before I go home and tell Josh. Even so, I don't think I'll be able to explain it in a way that will convince him."
Blow #3 ~ Confirmation of blow #2. I. can't. wrap. my. brain. around. this.

3 comments:
LOL, girl! You're too funny! Ok, so "blow" (maybe... haha) #4: You're also hilarious! ;o)
Just face it!! You ARE old!! LOL And as far as the whole relations thing... well, I, myself, just try not to think about it! LOL
Ummm...thanks! If you're old, what does that make me?! :)
~Stephanie W.
Post a Comment