This is probably going to be a pretty boring post for those of you who love pictures, but I've been learning a lot of new stuff lately. I am completely fascinated with the whole world of natural medicine. Mainly because it has helped me tremendously in the last two years. Josh and I both are in the process of eliminating debilitating migraines. I haven't had a migraine for almost 8 weeks now, and in the last three months I've only had one, using all natural methods! It is so wonderful to be pain free. If I do get a headache, it is very minor, doesn't interfere with my life anymore, and I can usually get rid of it completely in just a few hours, naturally.
Josh is behind me about four weeks in the process, but he is well on his way to being headache free. He has cut the frequency of his headaches down to one-fourth of what they used to be! I'm so thankful for this for him and for me. No more getting up several times a night to give him a massage to alleviate the pain. Now, he gets massages during the day, just for the fun of it. : )
As most of you know, I resist going to the doctor for any reason, especially where my kids are concerned. And we avoid all over-the-counter and prescription medication because they are all toxic chemicals, or in other words, poison. All of these medications have side effects that are potentially worse than the symptom one is trying to cover up. Natural medicine treats the root of the problem not just symptoms, and you're not putting unnecessary chemicals into your body that will make you more susceptible to sickness in the future to accomplish it. God has provided in creation all that is necessary for man to live a happy, healthy, productive life. It isn't a mystery. It's just a matter of educating yourself. And the results are truly amazing.
It makes me sad to see people living their lives being so incredibly miserable when it is completely unnecessary. It's a lot like salvation. You think to yourself, "if they only knew!" But most individuals care nothing about educating themselves. They want everybody else to do it for them. And so they learn the wrong things from the most available sources such as the pharmaceutically funded media, doctors, and websites. Of course they're going to tell you to medicate! There's a conflict of interest so don't always trust them.
Don't get me wrong, doctors and chemical medications have their place, but usually only in emergency situations, where the benefits out-weigh the risks. They are trained to save lives, and most doctors mean well, and truly want to help people, but they are trained to medicate, not cure. They only get four hours tops of nutritional and natural remedy education during their entire four to eight years of college. That is staggeringly inadequate.
My doctor is a former MD who has educated herself, and is now a naturopath. She is still learning, but I appreciate the balance that she has acquired and her open-mindedness. And best of all, she congratulates me on refusing to vaccinate my children, and encourages me not to even when I wonder if maybe, just this once, I should for whatever reason. That's quite a change from all the flack I've received in the past from doctors and a breath of fresh air for sure. She isn't odd like a lot of homeopathic doctors that I've been to. She doesn't encourage yoga and holistic medicine and so on in the sense that most homeopaths do. She looks at things more from a Biblical perspective.
Most headaches, migraine and others, are caused by a vitamin B2 or riboflavin deficiency. This more than likely indicates that you are deficient in all B vitamins though. We take up to 3000 mg's of the daily value on the bottle. B vitamins are water soluble so you really can't overdue it. You're body will absorb what you need and get rid of the excess. (BTW, not all vitamins are all they are cracked up to be. Research is required to finding a good multivitamin that is balanced, potent, and absorbable. A good rule of thumb is to buy only pharmaceutical grade vitamins.)
We also go to the chiropractor regularly. The reasons for this are many so I will just say that it is absolutely vital to living pain free. Basically, subluxations are interferences in your spine that inhibit your nerves from sending messages to your brain which in turn causes pain. Your spine is the main passageway for your nerves to send messages to your brain, and if it's out of whack, your whole body will suffer.
I also found out just in the past two weeks from the dentist that I have TMJ which is a popping of the jaw when yawning or otherwise opening your mouth really wide, and causes headaches. My chiropractor has helped me with this too. My jaw rarely pops now! I was thrilled since I didn't know chiropractors could help with this. The dentist led me to believe I needed a night guard that adjusts my bite while I sleep which would have cost over $1,000. Chiropractic also heals asthma, chronic ear infections, and other childhood illnesses by clearing the way for the nerves to send the brain the vital messages so that the body can heal itself as God created it to.
In terms of the cost, the "an ounce of prevention" adage applies. It has been well worth it and minimal.
I have had so much fun learning about all these things, and many more, and have enjoyed seeing the wonderful results in my family. It is so fulfilling and empowering to know how to help your family feel better all by yourself, and if I can do it, pretty much anybody can. If any of you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Between myself and a really good friend of mine, we should be able to come up with an all natural answer to whatever ails you, including high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. I doubt I'll receive many comments on this post, but I look forward to it anyway. : )

12 comments:
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I haven't quite gotten to the point of regular chiropractic care, or ANY for that matter, but I haven't been able to find one that I like. As soon as I do, I will do my best to get us all there regularly. Good post. Thanks for the information!
I enjoyed reading your blog again. We haven't been as faithful to the chiropractor as we should be. I know for a fact that chiropractic care is very important to good health. I also whole-heartedly agree with you on the poisons you get over the counter and prescriptions.
Thanks for the comments. I figured if anybody commented on this post, it would be you two. LOL
Sherry who is your naturapath?? She sounds so awesome... What a great post
Hi Niki,
I called Teresa Tompkins about the naturopath I was telling you about. I'm still waiting to hear back from her to see if she knows if the one who took her place is as good as she was. Teresa was the one who referred me to her to begin with. But, Roberta Bourgon is very knowledgeable too, and I plan to find out where she stands on vaccinations since I'm now in need of a new naturopath! LOL I appreciate you calling to ask me about it, otherwise I wouldn't have known until I had to take one of my kids in for something. : )
I didn't get a chance to tell you on the phone, but I had to take Nathan in to the ER at St. V's when he got a fish hook stuck in his finger in August, and they actually were pretty good about the fact that he hadn't been vaccinated. But I think it was mostly because he was only 18 months old at the time. They told me that a lot of mothers are waiting until then to start immunizing. I did end up getting him the tetanus shot too, just to be safe. When I got home, I called the friend I was talking about in my post and she gave me TONS of info on how to detox your child after they're innoculated. She has an excellent recipe for thuja soup if you ever find that you need to have your kids get a shot again. Apparently, the thuja binds itself to the toxins and helps flush them out of the body if you administer it right away and once a day for a week thereafter. Cool information. There are a number of homeopathic remedies available for that too.
I also know of several good chiropractors in town. I am currently going to Dr. Simone Webb and she uses the proadjuster. She actually became a chiropractor because of the relief it afforded her from migraines. And she and Dr. Jeffrey Mitchell are totally against immunizations. Very supportive. : ) It's been nice to have such positive feedback for a change.
Sherri, Have you ever heard of Usana vitamins? Tabor and I take those. I used to get strep several times a year and I have gotten since I have been on them. Tabor is more consistant on them than I am. I can't remember some days. We really like them. If you would like any info. let me know.
Melisa
Hi Melisa,
Yes, I have heard of USANA. Josh and I are planning on getting them for Josh and the kids. Somehow. Some friends from our church just started selling them. I have my own kind that I take that took me forever to find. Most vitamins make me sick. So I'm planning on sticking to the ones I've got because I can get the pharmaceutical grade multivitamin/mineral, probiotics, and omega's for $40 a month. My friend buys them wholesale and sells them at cost. She just wants to help people, not make a living off it. USANA and Mannatech and so many others are just outrageously expensive. I'm hoping to have her get some for the kids so we don't have to buy Usana. I know that sounds terrible, but there are a lot of us, and we simply can't afford it. If you have any ideas that would make it more affordable, I'd be happy to hear them. Josh and I were very impressed with USANA, by the way, as we were researching vitamins. Other than the cost, they're pretty much the best. Thanks for the comment! :)
Hi Sherri,
Thanks for the blog. Valuable information is great, even if there are no pictures! I find that anything you write or tell me about vitamins, naturals, etc. is interesting. I know that I do not do enough research for myself, so I appreciate it when you inform me and save me some time. :) I'm glad to hear that you and Josh are benefiting from these things and feeling better.
Stephanie,
I'm glad I can help. :) It's nice to know that I have somebody I can call to talk through all the new stuff I learn so that I can understand it better. Thanks for being my sounding board. :D
This was very interesting to read. I think I'll be sending you an email! I had 2 dastardly wicked headaches this week. I hate them!!!! Maybe you can help....
Rebecca,
I would be more than happy to help you if I can. Ironically, I had a headache Sunday that was so bad I wasn't able to go to church at all. But, I haven't been taking my B vitamins as faithfully the last six days so that is more than likely the reason. I can ALWAYS tell when I forget to take them. For immediate relief an ice pack seems to help the most. I rotate it around my head. It helps with inflammation and allows me to sleep it off, too, as long as the rest of me is toasty warm. :)I also do stretches for my neck and shoulders that help, but I would probably have to explain those over the phone. Some essential oils are supposed to help, but they only give me a worse headache. LOL Apparently, though, they open up the blood vessels in your brain, and help you to assimulate oxygen better. So I can see WHY they work, I just can't get past the smell making me want to throw up. LOL If you want some more information, go ahead and email me. I think I know of a good website I can refer you to. I'm doing more research on it at the moment, but plan to do a post about it if it turns out to be as good as I think it is. Thanks for the comment.
Post a Comment