Monday, August 17, 2009

Just Look Up


"Mommy, do you see it?"

"See what, Dillon?"

"The cross, Mommy."

"The cross?"

"Yep, it's right there. Just look up."


I had never noticed it before. All I saw was a closed door.

God cares. He cares for us to the extent that He numbers the hairs of our head, and even goes to the trouble of collecting our tears in a bottle. He knows every intimate detail of our lives; our thoughts, our desires, our shortcomings, and especially our needs. He is never too busy to care. I have often thanked Him for His omniscience, and omnipotence, but I have only recently begun to thank Him for His omnicaring.

The last week of our move, Josh and I were exhausted. There seemed to be more work to do than hours in the day to do it, and the devil was working overtime to take advantage of our busyness and fatigue. To say we were overwhelmed would be an understatement.

Josh was packing boxes downstairs by the "wet bar" late one night when he ran out of packing tape. He was too tired to even be frustrated. He just cried out and said, "Lord, I'm so tired, and I really need some tape so I can get this done. I simply don't have the energy to go looking through the house for tape." The Lord knew he was tired, and Josh knew in his heart that He understood; that He cared. He reached over and opened a drawer. Almost in disbelief he stared at a roll of tape. All he had to do was reach out and take it.

I'm always looking for good music. Especially new, good music. It seems so hard to come by. But the Lord reminded me the other day that all the resources of the world are at His disposal. He has lain on my heart that I need to be a blessing to others by sharing the music that He gives me as soon as I receive it. God will only give us as much of His resources as we're willing to share with others. We get, to give.

The cd player in my van started making deep circular scratches in all my favorite cd's as they were playing last week. I fixed them the best I could, and decided to make copies to keep on hand, but I couldn't find my blank cd's anywhere. I knew I had a big container of them, and I wasn't about to go buy more. I looked half-heartedly for days. On Thursday night on the way back from visiting camp Chetek, I decided that I had to get that done before I forgot about it or it would be too late.

Friday morning, first thing, I prayed and asked God to help me find the cd's, and I reminded Him that I needed cases to put them in that I knew I didn't have. I went out to the garage, and the first box I came to was sitting open. The blank cd case was right there laying on it's side. I was so excited! I ran into the house and came downstairs to get them done, and I just about stepped right on an empty cd case that was lying at the bottom of the stairs. I couldn't believe it! (I am so ashamed of myself that, even after all the answers to prayer God has given me, I'm still almost surprised when He answers.)

The originals played flawlessly for me in my dvd player in the house, so I decided to give the extra copies to my Pastor's wife to enjoy. Not two days later, she handed me the song "Medals, Crowns, and Trophies". One song of that magnitude is worth a whole library of music to me. I will treasure it! I was then able to share that music with two others whom I knew would be just as blessed as I was to receive it!

Almost simultaneously the Lord led me to more music that I had been wanting to get online, and I found soundtracks for many of the songs that I sang before moving that I would otherwise have had to play for myself in order to sing here! My excitement knows no bounds!!!

Josh and I have been focusing on getting the kids excited about reading their Bibles and praying. We know that their enthusiasm will be in direct relation to ours. I sincerely believe that is one of the reasons that God has been answering so many of our prayers. I know it motivates me to pray more when I see how exceeding abundantly God answers others.

Last night we went on a walk. It ended up being six miles round trip! When we got back though we *somehow* had the energy to roast hot dogs, make s'mores, and have Bible time around our firepit.

Josh read Ps. 16:11 "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."

We reviewed with the kids all the things God has been doing for us lately, and talked about how exciting it is to be a part of it. By the time we were done, they wouldn't have been surprised at all to see my dad drive up our driveway, and not ever have to spend another day in prison ever again. Or to hear that the PET scan that my mom had last week showed that her cancer was all gone. I love that childlike faith. I want more of it. They teach me so much.

We have seen God's hand on our lives in an amazing way in the past four months. I know that God has a definite purpose and plan for everything that has taken place. I know that in His time, He will continue to show us exactly what that entails, and I can't wait to see what it's going to be! I no longer see just a closed door. I'm claiming this promise:

Revelation 3:8 "I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name."

Whatever circumstance you find yourself in today, whether it be good or bad, look for the possibilities of what God can do with it if you allow Him to. He cares! God is always ready and waiting to work on behalf of His children. Often the only thing holding Him back is the simple fact that we have neglected to ask Him. Nothing is left to chance. There are no accidents or coincidences with God. He has a purpose and plan. For you. Embrace it! I promise you won't be disappointed.

Do you see it?

It's the cross.

It's right there.

Just look up.

5 comments:

Stephanie W. said...

Thanks for more encouragement, Sherri!

Seasons of a Helpmeet said...

Very encouraging, Sherri. It is so wonderful to be able to see other families who are teachable and seek to grow in the LORD daily.

Lately I have been very grieved regarding my Facebook account. I see so many people who claim me as their "friend" that once held a high standard and now have turned from the LORD. I've made some enemies this week by questioning in Love (unattackingly)regarding some of what I have seen. It is scary what I see in the Christian realm. But I believe Christ Himself would feel the necessity to say something.

Keep your sensitive spirit to the LORD's Leading. You don't realize how encouraging it truly is to those around you. Thanks for sharing.

Jess

Arlene said...

A group of ladies in our church are working on memorizing Scripture together... wouldn't you know it, but Psalm 16: 8-11 is the one we're learning right now. :o)

Praise the Lord for His faithfulness and "omnicaring" -- oh, thanks for the new word, too :o)

Deena - said...

Much love to you Sherri! YOUR faith encourages mine in so many ways!!!

Barbara said...

Amen Sister, your little guy has a very sharp eye, I had an out side door like that, our house was cream color and we painted the cross a teal like the rest of the trim, you could see that cross from the end of the road, it was amazing how many took notice of that cross, I love, and that was great teachings too, hugs

Photobucket