Monday, February 26, 2007

Got (Real) Milk?

I recently finished the book "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin, and I really enjoyed it. I could only do his forty day plan if my life depended on it, but the information in the book was so very good.

After almost five years of looking for raw goat and cow milk, my friend Teresa finally was able to track some down. The location is over an hour's drive, but the nearest known source before was at least four hours away. We are even able to get it for $2.50 a gallon! Raw, organic MILK for $2.50. Can it get any better than this? LOL My husband thinks I'm crazy for getting so excited over milk, but he has no idea how badly I've wanted this. I've looked everywhere, and was even considering having it shipped to me! That would have been costly though, so I'm glad I didn't have to.

"You shall have enough goats' milk for your food, for the food of your household, and the nourishment of your maidservants" Proverbs 27:27. My kids are allergic to cow's milk, so the goat milk is for them. Human breast milk is best for humans, but a close second is goat milk. In Bible times, the milk was consumed straight from the cow or goat with no homogenization or pasteurization which alters the nutrients in the milk, and makes the proteins indigestible which in turn leads to milk allergies. Heat from the homogenization and pasteurization "kills" the food. When it's raw it's "alive", and has amazing health benefits. What was not consumed right away was fermented. Yogurt, cheese (soft and hard), and butter are fermented dairy products as well as kefir.

Now that I have raw milk, I've been able to make my own kefir. Kefir is fermented milk. I know, I know....you're thinking "GROSS!", and that was my first impression too, but if you've never tasted it with a little bit of honey and vanilla or fruit in it, you don't know what you're missing! It is so good! It's like the best drinkable yogurt you've ever tasted, and it's loaded with good bacteria. Following is a list of the benefits of consuming high-quality fermented dairy products:

*It provides calcium that builds bone in children, and prevents or slows the development of osteoporosis.
*It lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol.
*It attacks bacterial infections, especially those that cause diarrhea, and soothes the stomach lining.
*It prevents dental cavities, and chronic bronchitis.
*It stops the growth of some cancers, including colon cancer.
*It boosts energy and mental alertness.

The benefits attributed specifically to goat milk consumption are as follows:

*It is less allergenic. (It doesn't contain the complex proteins that cause allergic reaction to cow's milk.)
*It does not suppress the immune system.
*It is easier to digest than cow's milk. (An old statistic showed that goat's milk will digest in a baby's stomach in twenty minutes, whereas pasteurized cow's milk takes eight hours. The difference is in the structure of the milk.)
*It is more effective in treating heartburn due to its buffering capacity than cow's milk, soy infant formula, and over the counter antacids.)
*It alkalinizes the digestive system.
*It contains twice as much medium-chain fatty acids ( like capric and caprylic acids)that are highly antimicrobial. These acids actually killed the bacteria used to test for the presence of antibiotics in cow's milk!
*It will not produce mucus, and will not stimulate a defense response from the immune system.
*It is a rich source of selenium which is essential for immune modulation and antioxidant properties.

If for some reason a nursing mother needs to wean her baby early, the next best thing is raw, organic goat's milk! It's nutrient balance and make-up is very similar to human milk, and is a much better choice than cow milk. Never give your baby soy products. Not even once. For more information about this, go to www.thewholesoystory.com.

My kids had the stomach flu this weekend. After the initial throwing up sessions, I had them drink the kefir. They didn't throw up anymore! Dillon came up to me after he drank it and said with relief in his voice, "Mommy, thank you for the kefir." I said, "Did it make you feel all better?" He sighed, and said, "Yeah." I truly love being able to take good care of my family. There is so much more to learn...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All very interesting!

~Rebecca

Liz said...

I don't think I found what I was supposed to on the soy website. I'm curious though because my son has a dairy allergy and I nurse him, therefore I can't have any dairy. I sometimes have soy milk in cereal. Is that harmful for him?

Love all the info on your site by the way! Very informative. I wouldn't mind learning more about midwifery (Is that the correct term?). Even though I had him in a hospital, giving birth to my son was one of the best (and also peaceful) experiences of my life.

Take care! Liz

Sherri said...

Hi Liz,

I appreciate the comment. If you drink soy milk, it will be passed on to your baby, and will therefore affect him just as it does you. My suggestion would be to avoid it if at all possible and see if you can find good organic raw goat milk instead. I didn't think I would like goat milk myself, but it really is very good if it is organic and raw. I actually prefer it now. If you buy it in the store, it definitely has a "goaty" taste. :) But even that is better than soy if you can stand it.

I hope to do more posts on homebirth in the future. I have a few of my birth stories in my archives if you're interested. I've been meaning to post them all, but...... =) Also, if you haven't already noticed it, I have a link to the the Mountain Midwives Center on my link list. I work for the midwife who delivered three of my babies, and I'm also a lactation consultant. There is quite a bit of information on midwifery on the website if you haven't already looked at it.

Amy had her first baby in the hospital, but she had tried to have a homebirth. I think her experience in the hospital was overall very good as well. I admire her strength as they gave her Pitocin, and she refused any pain medication!

Have a great day!
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri, Hi from Cody, Wy. I am tired out just reading all that you do with your 5 children. They are all beautiful and so sweet. I am thrilled that I can read about your family and best of all I get to see pictures. I just finished reading about Amy and I have been praying for her. Better get to work, but just wanted to say "hi" and love to all.
Mrs McDonald from Cody, Wyoming!!!!

Sherri said...

Hi Mrs. McDonald!

It's so good to see a comment from you. =D Amy is doing fairly well. She's been able to go with Johnny to work for the last several days. Thanks so much for your prayers.

I hope everyone is doing well. I heard that Kim got married. I'm so excited for her! We sure do miss all of you down there. Take care and come back to my site to visit often. :)

Photobucket